Both rats Biting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caeser

So ive had my Rat Caeser for about 2 weeks now and he was great always let us pick him up and started to get to the point where he would walk right up to us, so since getting him we got him a friend, my new rats name is tums and he was from the same litter as caeser so they got along fine, but now the problems start,

Tums wont let us pick him up, he struggles ALOT and makes lots of squeking sounds, he also runs for the hills if you just even try to touch him, also when you put your hand in the cage he goes right for your finger tips and starts to bite them, how should i go about getting him used to us.

The other problem is now caeser bites, hes never done it before but now he does, most of the time its just our finger tips, Thanks for the help!

PS. these are the first rats ive ever owned, only ever owned guinea pigs and had 2 litters

It sounds like they just need a little bit of time and some socialization. You can use treats as a way to coax them towards you. If they are still trying to bite your fingers even when you aren't reaching for them you might want to wear a pair of gloves until they become more familiar with you. You can also put on a t-shirt and a sweater that you don't care about and put your boys in between the 2 shirts. This will help them get used to you. It will take some time but eventually they will realize that you aren't evil. Also make sure you aren't feeding them through the cage bars.

If the biting continues you can 'eep' at them when they bite. This lets them know they are hurting you.

Thanks fr the reply Smilez_N_Hugz ill try that out, i like the idea of gloves :) THANKS!:joy::joy:

Are they biting, breaking skin and drawing blood, or just pinching (nipping)?

I assume they are just babies? If so they are just being mouthy. Every time they bite down a bit too hard, then make a high pitched but not necessarily loud "eeep" sound...its rat language for "ouch, that hurts, please stop"

Hey Everyone sorry for the late reply, The pet store i got them from said they didnt know the age, but assumed around 2 month's, i thought that was really weird and kind of sketchy, they also said they could guarantee the sex, im almost positive that there both female, here is a picture of both of them, but if there not around 2 months there still pretty young!

Caeser
thumb3_10806363-10205103053406699-3892889377416317301-n.jpg

Tum - Tum
thumb3_1454710-10205231740503796-2412707652807414841-n.jpg

They have never drew blood it almost like there just smelling your hand, then just a fast nibble

That is normal behavior. Rats seldom bite and if they do - you'll know. Bites will bleed, my first bite looked like a crime scene on the floor. Just say no or close your hand and don't offer fingers. Never put your fingers through the bars. If they have nipples they are girls - boys do not have nipples. They are very cute.

Oh they are tiny babies! They certainly can't be aggressive yet. You'll need to teach them not to nip by squeaking in a high pitch voice at them when they do so.
Also, please show us bigger pics of their genitals. You don't want a baby getting pregnant.

Hi Guys, so here are the pictures of the rats, We have started to use gloves and its becoming way easier !

FrD5VY9.jpg

This one Is Caeser.

myCsIyl.jpg

This is Tums.

Thanks for all the help!

If that 2nd rat is a boy, then you bought some very very young and tiny babies :( Too young to be away from mom.

Can you get us more pics of them...whole body pics with them dangling, we will be able to tell their size/age and sex as well.

A 4 week old girl looks like this...

sexinggirl1.jpg~original

A 4 week old boy looks like this...

sexingboy.jpg~original

With 3 week old babies no testes have descended but the gap is still there.

Girl

Girl-20daysold.jpg~original

Boy

Boy-20daysold.jpg~original

So you could have a girl (top pic definite) and a young male or possibly a female who needs to poop (bottom pic)...

As for babies and gloves, you really should`t wear them. They need to learn not to nip or nibble YOU not the gloves. Offer the back of your hand first, use tone to tell them when they are being too hard, and when they are being good babies :)

4qwWZoW.jpg

Tums- Another picture !

5n17c7h.jpg

Tums - This is him Hanging more

t3q6iCd.jpg

And this is Caesar hanging

For now i have them split up :)

I vote two girls too. Phew! LOL
Yes, they are just babies. Take them out regularly and put them down your sweatshirt for some bonding time. The more time you spend with them and handle them, the faster they will warm up to you.

Ya. Agreed nix the gloves as they are so young its best to teach them hands are not for biting. It should eventually turn to "tasting licks" as right now its just rough tasting nibbles. Once they are getting more gentle with a hand in the cage try putting something to eat like cheerios or baby puffs between your fingers to train for gentle taking of food and proper manners. I found many youngens to be grabby. Don't let go of the food until its just their teeth on it and not your fingers.
And as others have said never feed through bars. It teaches anything going between the bars should be food and to bite it.

Back