Girls have arrived/spay done/time to meet boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Hubby picked up the three girls today that were being giving away along with "Slash". She says they are 8-12 months, but the are tiny little things. The siamese/himi's are rex, but also look alittle patchy - their skin is thinned out. Of course that could be from their fabulous diet of tortilla chips, etc. plus their vegan (sorry vegans out there, that will change), and the expired vitamins she was giving them.... One of them is extremely adventurious - don't know which one. The other girl is a beige hooded (?) and is extremely shy. I couldn't find any scabs on them, but they got the revolution anyway. Hopefully they are settling in nicely at grandma's house. I will posts some pics in a bit - maybe you guys can tell me how old you think they are.

She says she got them some time in the spring or summer of 2014 so if they were 5 weeks when taken from mom since they were meant to be feeders I guess that means they could be around 11 months??? They are so tiny... Do you guys think its too late to spay them or should I go ahead anyway? I want them to have the best chance for long life...

Pretty petite for nearly a year! If you go from "early" summer that'd be 7ish months. Still seem small. But I've had girls stay petite especially if you factor in likely being weaned too early. 7/8 months but look 4/5 months due to premature weaning.

As a female rat owner... they don't look that small Lol.
Maybe give em a weigh?
My 3 girls are 11 months now and weight between 330-450 grams. Pika looks like a baby but she's not x: Paige looks close to Pikas size and the Himis look about Theias size.

I'd say if it's financially available to you, spay em! The benefits are overwhelming and it's cheaper (and less heartbreaking) than mammary tumors and PT.

Last edited:
Girls are smaller than boys so they are tiny but probably girl size :) I would spay them for sure. It is never to late.

That shower hook in the first picture - one of the himi fit through it. Is that normal size? I cannot let them any where near Peanut he'll squish them or eat them [emoji193]

I think Pika could fit through one of those. I've never seen her try but I have seen her go through one of those baby rings.

They say females in heat can fit through 3/4" bar spacing if they know a male is around so it wouldn't surprise me if one could fit through a hook ^~^

LOL! That Peanut has a way of intruding every thread, does he? How's my big squishy boy?
He is doing fine, but is on a diet - at least when I'm around. He could take two of them tiny things out at once if he laid on them.

Darn it, I knew the spacing on those bars in the cage they are currently in is two big... I hope they don't squeeze through.

Girls !!! :cheer: you have some girlies now :cheer:

They are adorable too! Get ready for more peeing then the boys do - LoL!!!

Girls !!! :cheer: you have some girlies now :cheer:

They are adorable too! Get ready for more peeing then the boys do - LoL!!!
What??? Why didn't I know this?! My mom does keep telling me they are pooping all over. [emoji90]

I am being told they are getting bigger - that I assume would be the new diet they are on. No more chips, puffs, and whatever else was in the mix she made. Its all oxbow and fresh veggies/fruit now. They have a vet appointment on the 28th and I will schedule their spays at that time. I will check on them in a few days and get updated photos.

I'm thinking. Sonoma, Eldora, and Charlotte for names

they wont be squished by anyone. My fattest rats have been pinned and flipped by my smallest rats.

Back