Ugh..Intros.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So I have three girls, Molly, Miloh, and Madeline. Molly and Miloh were living together for about 4 or 5 months now. And then I got Madeline. Well started intros in the tub, everything was fine. Then got them playtime on the floor together, and Molly is attacking Madeline. I separated them before anyone got hurt though. Madeline is way smaller than Molly, Molly being the biggest girl. I don't know the ages of any of them. But from oldest to youngest is Molly, Miloh, and then Madeline. Molly isn't aggressive normally, only grabbing and nipping when you put your finger up to the cage bars. (which is my fault for giving her treats through the bars) Miloh seems fine with it all. My question is, how would Madeline be if she was spayed and put in with my intact 3 male rats? I'm going to try to keep working on intros, but just in case they really won't get along I need a backup plan. Because I can't get rid of any of my babies. :kisskiss: I'm so aggravated :disbelief:

Last edited:
What kind of attacking do you see? She Molly gets a hold of her, is Madeleine bitten?

Molly will grab her and bite her, but I grabbed her before she bit too hard. It was really aggressive tackling and nipping. some boxing. Madeline was just squeaking and not doing anything, but Molly was doing all the 'attacking'. I've done quite a few intros but have never had this kind of problem :confused:

I will try to when i get home later. It's hard to explain. They were having play time and Molly went up to Madelines temp cage and started grabbing at her and trying to nip her

when rats are in a cage they act very different. is this a cage that they all play in, or is it a cage for just Madeline and she was in it with it being closed/locked? If it's a play cage, I'd remove it from where you are doing intros

and if it's Madeline's cage all the time, I wouldn't let Molly get near it. Do the intro's somewhere where no one can get near that cage.

Oooh, this is between bars? Petunia is right. Rats between bars react very differently then face to face. I also agree that Molly should not have access to Madeleine's cage.

Oh no. This isn't between bars. The first incident I posted about was out of the cages. Then Madeline was in the cage I had her in for quarantine while Molly and Miloh were out of theirs. And that's when the incident when Molly was grabbing at and going for Madeline happened. So Molly apparently doesn't like her whether she's in the bars or not. Molly doesn't have access to Madeline's cage but when I wasn't looking she climbed up to it and that's when she went for her through the bars.

Wow, as if nothing happened they play fine when I try to get a video. Now they're just ignoring each other..Maybe it's not impossible after all :timeout:

So here's Miloh(brown hooded) and Madeline(Champagne)
This doesn't look aggressive at all to me, but here's how these two are acting. Like, "Hey! Who are you?!" Of course Molly could care less right now. She wasn't in this one. Excuse my horrendous laugh, don't know why I laughed... :p
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kVCIptC5M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kVCIptC5M[/ame]

I laughed! Madeline is a little crazy girl hahahaha I only have one girl with energy like that and she is hard to keep up with :) I hope things keep going smoothly from here on out.

I laughed! Madeline is a little crazy girl hahahaha I only have one girl with energy like that and she is hard to keep up with :) I hope things keep going smoothly from here on out.

Haha thank you! Yeah she loves to wrestle with your hand and nip at you. I love my little babies <3 (All six of them, Oy)
I hope Molly behaves from here on out :hug4:

This is getting frustrating!!! Molly went after her again, there was a lot of screaming and wrestling. They had to be separated by hand so they'd stop. AND when I went to take a video of what was going on, they ignore each other again! UGH :wallbang:
Also after she was pretty much attacked by Molly, Madeline was scared of the girls and kept hiding on me.. She just wanted to play. :?

Back