Baytril or Zithro? (infected wound)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia9_28

Hello, I recently rescued an aggressive male named Cooper. He attacked Dude during a simple intro and now Dude has an infected wound on his face. :(

I'm wondering if I should use Baytril or Zithro to treat? I also have Doxy. Or what can I do? The wound is almost closed but there's puss coming out of it, it's also swollen a bit.

I would rather not use my Baytril as I need it for URIs and I have very little, which is why I'm wondering if Zithro will do the trick?

Thanks!

I started him on Baytril and Doxy. Is there anything else I should be doing? He doesn't like it being touched. He seems in pain, so I've been giving him children's ibuprofen.

I would use clavamox or flagyl for an infection. Perhaps a trip to the vet is needed and metacam for pain. Hope he feels better soon.

I agree, Clavamox (Amoxicillin) would be my drug of choice for this type of wound.
It might be a good idea if it is still really sore to go to the vet's for a shave/incision/drain of the area.

Back