we have girlies =) UPDATE 1/1/2015

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
long story short, so that I don't ever end up with a lone rat who needs buddies asap or needs to be rehomed so that he has buddies,
I decided to add two younger rats to my group. Two girls (the boys are neutered and budget willing, the girls will be spayed at some point)

so, the new girls are here, they arrived today
Tiny little things, about 6 mos old (I'd say less, but its' been awhile since I've had girls lol)

The girl's cage is next to the boys and so far, I have had two very very puffy boys, checking out the ladies,
and two ladies who appear to not care about the boys much at all, they have been cooped up in a tiny cage and just want to RUN and PLAY (which they got to do as soon as they arrived, they had an hour out time)

so, I do have a question.
How soon is too soon to start introes?

Right now the boys are exhausted but the girls are still going strong. The girls arrived at noon

Can I try a tub intro or is this pushing things a bit?

The more upset the boys are, the slower I would go. How about switching out cages? If the girls' cage is too small, then switching out bedding so the boys can check out their scent.

oh ok, my thinking was that they are upset because they are IN cages and haven't met... I was thinking that they'd calm down more outside of the cages

The girls are in a different cage now, I have a spare cage that I am storing for a friend, so I took the girls out of the bird cage they came with, and put them in a 3 level nice home with hammocks etc. They've never had hammocks but they knew exactly what to do with those lol

right now the boys are out in the play room where the girls had been earlier and they are having a great time sniffing all the girlie smells
I will def switch out bedding and all that, I was just thinking that now that they know the girls are here,
I was thinking they'd calm down faster the sooner they were allowed to interact...........??

I know it'd be good for the girls to get settled in, and I rarely even consider doing intros til the 3rd day, but these girls are so young and active, isn't it easier with the younger ones?

oh this is going to be so much fun. =D
remind me I said that when/if (anti jinx) the intros don't go too smoothly lol

Congrats! I hope their will be pictures.

I agree - if the boys are uppity, give them a few days to get used to girl smells. Personally I have good luck introing very quickly upon arrival of newbies, but that's been exclusively with males when the current ones are mellow and the newbies are rumored to be troublemakers.

Switching bedding is a great idea.

Give them girlies some yogurt or something so they'll slow down for 2 or 3 seconds to let you snap a photo
;)

CongRATS!
Oooh, I hope you can catch them once or twice with the camera. lol
The boys will settle down more once they know the girls and even just having them in the same room is helpful.

oh wow, I haven't updated this in over a week?!?! what is wrong with me?!?!

OH I know, I am busy playing with the new girls! OMG they are hilarious!

I love them and the boys love them too!
intro's have gone amazingly well

Tonight both girls are in heat, poor babies! so the boys were all over them :/
(boys are neutered, girls will be spayed by Feb) the girls tolerated it ok but it bothered me so I cut play time short

the girls are so smart, they have learned their new names, they know "treat" , they know 'its time to go play in the room', they know it's time to go back to your house (they run and hide lol)

they can tell when I want them to stop doing something, which is awesome, Haskell and Ernie have no clue. If Pippa is trying to climb something I don't want her on, all i have to do is say her Pippa no, in a disapproving voice and she stops
Kate is the same way. awesome little girls!

Ok let me see what I have for photos, they are still little blurs because they are so fast
I 've got a bunch of videos I have to upload to YouTube and edit, hope to get to that tomorrow

So to sum it up your telling us your boys are horny. :nyahnyah: The girls are listening, no shock there, and the boys don't listen to anything you say - hmmm, sounds like typical male behavior to me....

Glad they are all getting along - they are a good looking group..

So to sum it up your telling us your boys are horny. :nyahnyah: The girls are listening, no shock there, and the boys don't listen to anything you say - hmmm, sounds like typical male behavior to me....

Glad they are all getting along - they are a good looking group..

hahahaha, can neutered boys be horny?!?!?

yep typical males, do what they want. Although in the past I've had well behaved boys and naughty girls, so I guess it goes both ways

Back