An idea for fearful rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

A recent research study, published in a per-reviewed journal, found that curcumin (active ingredient in turmeric) reduces the formation and the maintenance of conditioned fear memories. This is very interesting, because curcumin is cheap, harmless and legal!

I'd like to find out the proper quantity, so that I can test it on my skittish little Patti. She was supposed to be a feeder, but the snake wasn't hungry. I've had her for a whole, and she is still very wary of hands.

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to the abstract of the research article:
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/vaop/naam/abs/npp2014315a.html

How does one find the proper dose? In humans, I've read that 1/2 to 1 tsp of turmeric is hugely beneficial. So for a rat, I would do 1/10th? This is tricky though. It would be best to find the real dosing because too much turmeric can form calcium oxalates in the kidneys and this can be a huge issue.
Maybe a dash on their food? If you find out anymore Godmother, please let us know. Turmeric is such a wonderfully healthy spice.

I made the request from my work email and, for the first time since my high school days, I have two weeks off over the holidays. :dance: but I'll look for the article in my Inbox when I get back to work.
Meanwhile, with the info about curcumin being good for the immune system, I was inspired to make myself some Turmeric Milk last night. It was pretty tasty. Hope it will keep me from catching the cold/flu bugs that are going around this year.

Here's the link: it's vegan, but directions are provided for use with cows milk, too.
http://www.nutritionstripped.com/turmeric-milk/

Hey that's so interesting! My boyfriend and I use cur cumin and reservatrol ourselves but for inflammation and the upkeep of our tired muscles, we're gonna try juicing some turmeric today and see if they'll even touch it haha might give them a drop or two on a banana, keep us posted!

Sitting here sipping on some warm turmeric milk and eating fresh-baked shortbread cookies.
I will be making ginger cookies soon. I'll bet they'll go even better with it! I think if you like drinks like mulled wine or apple cider, you would like this too. :)

Back