New Additions -The FAMILY Edition

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

I couldn't help but steal a picture of mostly Eva and a bit of China. lol. I thought this would be the perfect way to start off this family thread for Tatiana 's/Lilspaz's babies. Marissaceleste and Desiree (and any other adopter) can post about their new additions in this thread as well.

CcFVulT.jpg

80CWuZM.jpg

Last edited:
Heehee I love the mouth on Eva in pic 2. What an awesome idea...I love it!!

Why don't I post a few group pics of these babies for the weeks they were with me to start, then we can watch these babies grow up :D

Babies Adopted Out

Marissaceleste (2 boys)
Dennis - FAT black berkshire
Casper - PEW

Trihkal (2 girls)
Eva - american blue notch cap
China - PEW

Desiree (3 boys)
Storm - bigger agouti
Bandit - agouti bareback with headspot
Ghost - PEW

Scythe/Ashley (2 boys)
Twitch - agouti bareback
Smee - smaller agouti

Last edited:
Heehee I love the mouth on Eva in pic 2. What an awesome idea...I love it!!

Why don't I post a few group pics of these babies for the weeks they were with me to start, then we can watch these babies grow up :D

Please do! I have to say you are amazing! These girls have been through quite a bit in their short lil lives and yet they are so brave already. Maybe I should say you and the rat species.

What are their birthdays again? I know my boys have two different birthdays and they're in mid october.. I'm such a bad mum x_x

More pictures/videos from this evening.. Finally decided on Dennis for Mr Mischief here. I was holding him up washing the poop off his feet ugh and then he was looking so cute and sorry for himself so I had to take a picture :p Plus it shows off his cute tummy!

bgeEoFw.jpg

Here's a video of the 5 of them playing.. Casper is still kind of unsure about everything, despite everyone being quite nice to him! The one that beats him up the most is his brother Dennis haha

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtEYG546LK0[/ame]

And another.. Dennis gets his head stuck in a toilet paper roll part way through :p I love seeing him (black berk) and Edgar (black hooded) together.. Edgar is the smallest of the 5 month olds and Dennis is a fatty.. they're almost the same size!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0njLlM2Qkg&list=UUq89bOqreFFclF1rCMDvXrw[/ame]

Next step is to introduce the babies to the 3 grumpy old ratmen who they have not met yet!

I love that group pic above the picture of Bandit. Always makes me laugh.

Today is our second full day together. China and Eva take turns being the most fearful but they're becoming more trusting everyday.

Loved that picture as well Desiree!

So, my dog had decided he's scared of the rats. It's quite funny because he's a pointer mix and doesn't want to go near the cage yet. Hopefully he gets over it soon, he's a bit better today then yesterday.

I decided to name my three boys, Bandit, Storm and Ghost. I think they are still getting use to me and the cage. I had them playing yesterday. Ghost (PEW) is the most nervous so far. Storm (agouti) is the most daring one. I haven't had them out of the cage yet because I don't want to scare them when I try to get them back in. They are still a bit nervous when I'm moving in front of the cage. Maybe it's because they know I'm a bit nervous they won't like me lol

I've been trying to litter training them. So far they like pooping everywhere but the litter box hehe. Silly boys.

I'll post some new pics soon of them. :)

So, my dog had decided he's scared of the rats. It's quite funny because he's a pointer mix and doesn't want to go near the cage yet. Hopefully he gets over it soon, he's a bit better today then yesterday.

I decided to name my three boys, Bandit, Storm and Ghost. I think they are still getting use to me and the cage. I had them playing yesterday. Ghost (PEW) is the most nervous so far. Storm (agouti) is the most daring one. I haven't had them out of the cage yet because I don't want to scare them when I try to get them back in. They are still a bit nervous when I'm moving in front of the cage. Maybe it's because they know I'm a bit nervous they won't like me lol

I've been trying to litter training them. So far they like pooping everywhere but the litter box hehe. Silly boys.

I'll post some new pics soon of them. :)

These babies have had a bit of rough start to life. I can see their sweet nature plus the work Lilspaz has put in with them but I can also see those rough experiences have made them a bit fearful.

I have been working with the girls and while they're still scared they are making progress everyday. To me that's what counts.

I started hand feeding oats to my new girls. Oats are great for a few reasons. They are very healthy and all of my ratties (even the fearful ones) have enjoyed eating them. The oats are also small enough that they can't just grab them and run. At worst they have to keep coming back up to you for more oats. At best they will be on top of your hand eating one oat at a time.

Earlier I had both Eva and China (China is a victory as she seems more fearful) eating oats out of my hand. They were both facing me and were rather calm. It might be worth trying.

ETA Ratties are very sensitive and can likely sense you are nervous. Try to stay calm and patient. I always go through a phase with new rats where I'm convinced they are going to hate me forever but it has always worked out in the end.

Last edited:
Yesterday we moved our temporary cage into the playpen where the CN is. It seems to have calmed down the baby girls. My older girls were less than impressed every time I went to visit the babies. They were otherwise fine though so that's good. I can't wait until they're all one big happy colony. I keep telling them I got these babies for you guys but I'm not sure if they believe me lol.

ETA the girls came out for the first time today. I set up a playground in our bathroom and took some of the stuff from the cage so their smell would be outside the cage. They kept on coming to explore then running back to their cages. They actually came up to me several times which surprised me since we had them for less than a week. Guess that's some Lilspaz magic. China seems to be about as confident as Eva but she's slightly jumpier since she's a PEW.

Last edited:
Here's some of the two boys I took. :) Smee is the agouti, and Twitch is the capped boy. Twitch is super hyper active and has crazy hyper twitches, hence the name. Smee was just a cute name, and hes pretty lazy and laid back, though he instigates a lot of their fights and play more.

20141208_104006_HDR.jpg

20141208_104821_HDR.jpg

20141208_184433_HDR.jpg

20141209_130948_HDR.jpg

20141212_191248_HDR.jpg

20141212_191259_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so glad these sweet babies are in great homes now! Are all the babies spoken for now Shelagh?

I love the pictures of Twitch and Smee with their new, gigantic PEW friend haha

Back