Just a few questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryChan

Alright so, my little girl Kiara has dealt with some pretty bad URIs her entire life. She has myco, and went through pnemonia when she was little. Her last myco flare up, the vet put her on baytril+doxy, worked like an absolute charm. She has been okay for at least 6 months now, and is now almost at her 2nd birthday. She started making some monkey noises again, so to the vet we went. Turns out she was doing pretty bad again, and they(supposingly) put her on baytril/doxy, though on the bottle it only says baytril(hopefully they just ran out of labels...). She has been on the antibiotics for about 5 days now. The monkey noises have completely stopped, but her breathing is still pretty heavy, like sometimes heavy enough to shake the hideout she sleeps in. She has always been a heavy breather, but should i take the sign of her noises going away as her getting better, and the breathing should get better too?

Also, I said that she was 2 now, so I have another question, she has been nonstop in one place. She has a little hideout that hangs in the corner of the cage. The only time she ever leaves it is to use the bathroom and to come out of the cage. I moved the food and water to next to the hideout to try and help her out, but is this just old age? Or maybe the sickness she is fighting is making her not want to move much?

Also last note, when i brought her into the vet, she had lost a LOT of weight, almost 100 grams in just a few weeks it seemed. Now we have her on recovery formula, and she has gained a lot of weight back. Should I take that into consideration for her getting better? She seems to be using the bathroom fine, and her appetite is okay, less then normal but she gobbles up the formula.

So i guess my questions are, whats with the really heavy breathing, whats with her not moving much at all, and her gaining the weight back is a good sign right? I'm just so worried about her and want her to be comfortable. Thank you for reading!

Baytril and doxy should be in two separate bottles. I have never heard of it being mixed together. However, there is a doxy shot that last 7 days. Have you "rat phoned" her and if so what do you hear? Did they take any x-rays? Personally, I would keep her on the baytril and doxy - call the vet and make sure that is what you have. I would continue those for 6 weeks, but I would add lasix and see if the helps with her breathing. If it does, its possible she has a cardiac issue and not a pulmonary one. I would also consider putting her on metacam since its possible at her age she has arthritis and is in pain. Hope you can figure this out and she feels better soon.

I really don't think Baytril and doxy should be in one bottle. But it sounds like she's got a really bad uri, I'd get her on Baytril and zithromax, in two separate bottles. This treatment should last at least 4 to 6 weeks.

Ugh...I dont know what to believe anymore, this vet is supposed to be exotic animal vet who has worked with many rats before. Im pretty sure my last doxy/baytril was compounded too. And whats worse is I talked to her about it this morning, and she said that if it isnt working after 5 days that I would need to come in and spend like $280 for tests, nebulizing, and to drain the fluid from her lungs. I feel like if I just ask her for a different med that she'll make me do everything over again.

As an update...I cant really tell if she is getting better. I walked in earlier and she seemed to be breathing a little slower, but listening closely I think I can hear the fluid still, it sounds like a muffled heartbeat is her breathing(like what you would hear on an ultrasound or something), thats the best way I can describe it. Also I would have to go to them because the other vet I see is not open on saturday.

Back