Giving baths!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

I was wondering what method you guys all use to bathe your ratties? I'm fearful that my ratties will be fearful and I want it to be the least stressful as possible for them.

Simon is all gross cause I've been treating him with Ketohex for potential ringworm. But his fur has almost completely grown back already so I'm positive he either never had ringworm or it's gone. Now, he's just a stinky greasy mess that really needs a bath.

When needed I put mine in sink of warm water keeping head away from water so nothing gets in ears/eyes. Sometimes they sand up and the faucet runs on them while they hold it. In extreme buck grease cases I use a tiny amount of Dawn otherwise most of the time its just water. I also use baby wipes or warm washcloth.

I'll probably go with washcloth. I don't want to bathe him but his fur is gross from the medicated spray and he's icky to touch. Plus it tastes horrible which he probably doesn't enjoy cleaning off himself.

People do not normally bath rats ... they are like cats and groom themselves.
Unscented baby wipes or a damp cloth could be used.

I have gently bathed rats in warm water in the sink while supporting them with one hand .... sort of soaking as I do not use anything except water ... and only in rare occasions when needed ....

I've had luck with Jonson's No-Tears Soap Free infant shampoo for rats that are so bad they can't groom efficiently anymore, or got into something that isn't safe for them to groom off themselves. Use a tiny amount and be sure to rinse it out very well.

Back