Peanut - plug Update 1/1/15

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Alright I have three very needy senior citizens. Axe will not let us check for plugs - daddy got bit, crime scene blood bitten..

However, Peanut (aka: Coconut) does get them, but he also seems to have some milky looking stuff (same color as a plug) that I sometimes see at the bottom of his "shaft", when I don't actually find a plug. I suppose it could be the start of one, BUT what has me concerned is that his winky seems very dry and I sometimes don't think its going to go back in. Can I just put some KY jelly on it? Or should I be more concerned about this?

I also think he might have some bumblefoot starting. He is up to 1140 grams - I know he's the size of 3 rats.

Yikes, poor Axe and poor daddy. Not sure how you're supposed to check if he's acting that way :/

Jake, 1.5 years, gets that not a plug yet milky gunk sometimes. Mostly find it when he wakes up, otherwise I assume he wakes and grooms it off himself.

Coconut/Peanut <3

Alright I have three very needy senior citizens. Axe will not let us check for plugs - daddy got bit, crime scene blood bitten..

However, Peanut (aka: Coconut) does get them, but he also seems to have some milky looking stuff (same color as a plug) that I sometimes see at the bottom of his "shaft", when I don't actually find a plug. I suppose it could be the start of one, BUT what has me concerned is that his winky seems very dry and I sometimes don't think its going to go back in. Can I just put some KY jelly on it? Or should I be more concerned about this?

I also think he might have some bumblefoot starting. He is up to 1140 grams - I know he's the size of 3 rats.

It sounds like Peanut has paraphimosis. Here's a link from the RMCA which I found very helpful when one of my rats had this condition: http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/paraphimosis.php

I have found checking for plugs wth ky jelly seems to make them come out easier most of the time... I would lube it up LOL

I have found checking for plugs wth ky jelly seems to make them come out easier most of the time... I would lube it up LOL

Coming out is fine, its the going back that is alittle sticky/dry. This conversation is just wrong... He's also stinky or at least my fingers are after the process so I wonder if he has a UTI???? I cannot judge by his activity level since he's a big blob of fuzz.

Have you had him examined by a veterinarian? I wouldn't want to wait to have him checked out. Penis problems can be very dangerous, particularly when it eventually causes them to be unable to urinate.

Hope you can take him to the vet soon if you haven't already done so. Sending positive wishes to you and Peanut!

He has not been to the vet lately and does not appear to have urine issues since he emptied his bladder on me the other day during his out time.

The Peanut man has been doing a pretty good job of keeping himself plug free dispite his enlarged size. I find one occassionally and he isn't quite thrilled when I look for them.... nope, not a happy Peanut... We are putting ky jelly on him to make it slid back in easier and all seems to be going just fine.. You guys should of seen daddy with the ky jelly - it was like he was afraid to touch the Peanut man's man parts... :lol6: mommy's just gotta do everything...

Oh my, what a big boy! Maybe he feels a bit embarrassed that his parents see his special bits even though he's all growed up.

Yes, he's a big boy as last weigh in 1140g I do believe he's a bit shy, but it must be done. He was they only boy of those 7 to avoid the snip snip

When my rat had paraphimosis, my vet prescribed lidocaine gel. This helped him not feel any pain when I gently slid his penis back in---since it's such a sensitive area. (Lidocaine gel is mentioned for pain management in the Rat Guide article I'd posted previously.)

I agree, Peanut is a cutie!

Last edited:
When my rat had paraphimosis, my vet prescribed lidocaine gel. This helped him not feel any pain when I gently slid his penis back in---since it's such a sensitive area. (Lidocaine gel is mentioned for pain management in the Rat Guide article I'd posted previously.)

I agree, Peanut is a cutie!

He has no problem getting it back in and out - its just that when we remove a plug it seemed to dry out some before we are done and I didn't want it to hurt him, but he hasn't had a plug in days. Surprisingly that boy can reach the man bits...

He has no problem getting it back in and out - its just that when we remove a plug it seemed to dry out some before we are done and I didn't want it to hurt him, but he hasn't had a plug in days. Surprisingly that boy can reach the man bits...

Sorry I misunderstood! Glad he doesn't have that problem---plugs are bad enough. That's great he hasn't had a plug in days. Hooray for Peanut! :)

Back