Odin's Neuter - no pain meds??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonja

Odin's neuter went really well according to the vet, and the abscess in the area didn't cause any problems. The didn't give us any pain medication though, and they wont be able to until at least tomorrow morning. :\ The incision area looks great - bloody and swollen, but it doesn't look as bad as we thought it would. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but we'd like to see what we can do for him if he displays any issues later. He's just so calm and chill about everything that I think he'd hide any pain instead of showing it. He weighs 487.67 grams, and we do have Infant's Advil, 50mg/1.25ml is the concentration it says on the bottle.

Also, they didn't mention anything about antibiotics for the abscess in the area. We recently got some Baytril for Scootaloo, so we have it, but is it alright to use it for Odin? We're concerned about a draining abscess so close to the neuter incision. We definitely don't want it getting infected.

Last edited:
My vet always gives a metacam injection after surgery - it is good for 24 hrs. Perhaps your vet did that, which would explain why he is not presently on pain.
Yes, he needs pain meds for several days to a week .... metacam from the vet or Shelagh can make a suggestion

I always give antibiotics after surgery because I have had bed experiences with neuter abscess when antibiotics were not given.
Baytril is fine to use. Baytril dosage is based on weight so you will need to know his weight. But if you give him baytril, will you run out as it sounds like your other boy needs it.

haha yeah, we know we need to give him some sort of antibiotic/pain med, we just aren't sure what would be best since he is 2+ years old. When we got our other boys neutered they were 7 weeks old.

He weighs 487.67 grams, and we do have Infant's Advil; 50mg/1.25ml is the concentration it says on the bottle. I'm not too worried about running out of baytril, our vet is really good about letting us buy more if we need it.

You know, I bet they did inject both antibiotic and pain med. They did that last neuter we did for the boys when they were tiny. I'll go down tomorrow to see if they'll get us any meloxicam or metacam.

We still haven't been able to contact the vet about pain meds. :\ With it being so close to the holidays, everyone seems to want something from her, so they've been so busy we haven't even been able to reach a voicemail for the phones. (Probably because she's one of the best large animal/livestock vets in this area for about a 120 mile radius!) Odin's neuter incision itself is looking great, but there's still a lot of swelling, and the abscess in the same area... Well, I can't tell if it's doing alright or not. I don't see a "bump" where the actual abscess itself was, but that might be because of the hole it's draining from. There was/is a scab about the size of a pea on the top of his tail, directly above the draining hole - I think I mentioned that earlier. But the drainage hole is now "tearing" almost right up to that scab - about a quarter of an inch in length. I can't tell if it's the drainage hole getting bigger, or if it's the green gunk that was draining clearing up and revealing the true size of the hole, but I can definitely see exposed flesh (it almost looks like meat/muscle) at the base of the tail, and I doubt that's comfortable. x.x; Do I need to soften and remove the big scab on top of his tail and flush the abscess? There's still yucky green gunk inside the hole that I can see, but gentle squeezing isn't releasing it. I'm concerned that the infection will spread to the neuter incision (which /isnt/ stitched) and cause issues.

We have more than enough baytril to start him on that, if need be, but I'm highly concerned about not being able to reach the vet to discuss this with her. I've called probably every few hours since Thursday morning, and nothing. They close at 5, and aren't open at all on Sundays. Will he be alright until Monday, when I can call more persistently or go down to the office? Or do I need to maybe try flushing the gunk out of that abscess and seeing if that helps any? I don't know what a normal time frame is for these things to start improving. I'm very lost with this. x.x

Odin's healing up really well! His abscess seems to be completely drained and has a nice scab forming. We kind of gave up on contacting the vets and just keeping an eye on it/giving him baytril on our own, and if it didn't get better or got worse we would take action then. It looks like his neuter is healing well too; he does have a dark spot under the skin that formed, that looks like a bruise.

Since Sonja mentioned Scoots on this post, I figure I may as well post the bad news; today she passed away in her sleep after she had been doing so well recovering. We're sad that she's gone, but it seems to have been peaceful and I hope it was painless.

Back