Hello.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandr

I am Alexandr Bohler, resident of Rome, Georgia. I am Starting a new, though small rattery. I have just gotten a new rat, an ex-feeder by the name of Ember. I have had many rats in my life and have much experience with raising, but a bit less with breeding. I actually have a question concerning Ember. I thought perhaps she was pregnant when I got her approximately four days ago. Her nipples are visible, which may or may not be a sign of pregnancy, however her vagina is swollen, so I'm not sure if she's pregnant of just in heat. Do Any others have any knowledge in which I may be lacking?

Hi. Glad your new little one was saved an awful fate.

This is a rescue based forum. We do not support breeding here. And breeding a rat of unknown genetic background, (such as a rescued feeder) is not a good idea ever.

But we are always happy to help and advise on medical issues and other things. Perhaps make a post in the medical section of the forum regarding your question (I have males only so not sure of the answer). That section is monitored a little more closely and hopefully someone can answer you soon.

I got her pregnant. She was pregnant, or so I believe, when I got her. I do plan on breeding, yes, but I could bring myself to let a sweet pregnant doe be eaten. I would not mind breeding them, if only to get specific traits in or out of the line, but I only want healthy goodnatured rats for selling.

There are already so many rats out there that need homes. Which is why we don't support breeding here... Too many accidental litters are already causing overcrowding issues in rescues...

I plan on caring for them, plus I know know three people who raise and sell rats. One of them has actually asked for three of them. Thank you anyway.

We absolutely don't support breeding here. If you are serious in breeding and wanting good traits, you certainly can't start with a feeder rat. Rats from pet stores and feeder bins/breeders are in the worst health. You should find a good breeder and mentor from them. Purchase only rats with a pedigree and long standing line of strong health and temperament.
Please be kind to animals and don't reproduce the sickly.

Back