Timothy Hay: Is it ok for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRider2k3

A friend of mine recently rescued a male rattie, and so far he's been good with research/taking care of him (and I told him he needs a companion so I've got that covered). He has a few things to correct but he has Timothy hay in his cage. Nikki has told me that it isn't good for ratties due to dust/bugs. Is this true? It seems when I search most people say it's okay for them...

Just want to be safe!!! Thanks everyone!!

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. He might want to experiment with other bedding. Timothy hay is not really absorbent and can be a little prickly for the rats.

I dont think they will eat it. We have some for the piggies and when there is a piece out there they never eat it. It could have bugs and I never heard of anyone using it as beddng personally. I dont think it would do the job to absorb stuff but again our pig eats it and doesnt pee on it :) You can freeze anything for 72hours to kill bugs so that is an idea.

I'm honestly not sure if he's using it for bedding. I think he is using newspaper for bedding and had some in. He hasn't complained about an odor or anything... and he says that the rattie uses it as a bed..

My girls like it, I only offer it to them a couple times a week.

My boys pretty much ignore it. I buy it for my guinea pig.

Very interesting I always wondered about that sort of thing, I'll see if my boys like it my sister has some for her bunny and piggie

Back