Teeth Problems - help please!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratunda

Hi! I'm not sure what's going on with my girls teeth - background: She is 3.5 years old and is on Baytril permanently for UTI and pulse with Doxy. Her breathing is sometimes very pronounced (sides go in and out hard) but no wheezes. There are no good rat vets near by - good rat vet would be 2 hour drive in Kitchener (Dr.Gerald) and car stresses her out immensely.
She has lost her top teeth from chewing on cage bars (UGH) but they are already starting to grow back. Her bottom seem longish, but not too long as compared to pics of other rats teeth. However, she appears to be in pain, for past couple days she shakes head and bruxes (pain) paws at mouth etc. - all I can see is that they seem to move???? Loose teeth??? She HATES her mouth being opened and it is soooooooo hard to get a good look for long. So, what are the things that could be wrong?? Yes, it would be great to take her to a vet - but local vets do not know rats and 2 hour drive would NOT be good for her. Just trying to figure out what the possibilities could be - what could be causing the pain in her mouth? Again, the only thing I see is the 2 bottom teeth seem to move a bit? How do you all trim your rats teeth?? Do you all go to a vet?
Any help or advice would be appreciated!
THANKS!!

it sounds like teeth problems. Ours always seem to paw at their mouth when tehy have teeth issues. I would get her to a vet. I personally dont mess with self trimming or anythng I take them in.

Experienced rat Vet asap .... and possibly xray
You need to find out what is going on asap
she might have an infection and you also need to make sure the tooth is regrowing in the right direction and not up through her head

I agree with SQ and hopefloats that taking your rat to the vet is the best way to proceed once you're aware of this type of problem.

Sending positive wishes to you and your rattie!

Back