Today at the pet store....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So today while we were out getting yogies for our rat pack, I noticed something strange going on in the breeder bin. It was a little baby rat no more then 3 weeks old but he didn't really look much like a rat. His head was shaped like a tiny balloon and wear his muzzle area should be was all distorted probably from the over roundness of his head.My husband said he looked just like brain from the pinky and the brain cartoon and he did however this poor little guy couldn't take a step without falling over :( He was a little PEW as most of the babies are there now. One of the employees told me that one of the older PEW boys just walked in circles when he was awake.....Makes me so angry to think of those little guys suffering like that...If I had the money I think I would have gotten the little one just to take him and put him out of his misery but it solves nothing sadly so I am just gonna have to try harder to avoid that section, I just wanted to give them all a early christmas present which was just me talking to them and holding them cause no one else is gonna do it :(

Not sure where you could report it. Even if legally nothing can be done, you should take pictures and maybe even post on Facebook, start a riot about those *******s. Unfortunately people are cruel and carrless and very few laws if any exist to protect mice and rats.

Don't think we have a spca facility in this state. I could try the humane society but they already don't like me for multiple reasons...My daughter and her friends found a 3 week old kitten a couple years ago that clearly had respiratory problems and when I called then to ask if they would take it they said since it was sick that they didn't have the time and referred me to a vet that would put it to sleep for us....So we did their job and paid for it's vet bills and when she was 5 weeks old I found her a nice home and I still get pictures from time to time :) We had a feral cat problem in our old neighborhood and again I called them and they told me if I came and got the traps and trapped them myself then I could bring them in and they would euthanize them since they were feral. On two other occasions I called them about dogs that were left by their owners and was told unless they were dying or aggressive then once again I would have to bring them in at which point I asked what exactly they do all day haha. But I can try to call tomorrow and ask if they care to look into it or if they would like me to do it for them...ok without the sarcasm I will ask.

That's just so disgusting!!! I would start at least w/ the store manager & yes take a picture of the poor guy for evidence. You can even go to the district manager if the store manager ends up being a jerk.

I just hate to hear things like this - it makes me sick! I can't even watch those commercials about abused dogs & cats. I have to change the channel until it's over. It rips my heart out.

If nothing else you could write a review that others will see about that pet store. I would try the humane society but you're right. They're not always helpful.

:( ....... poor rats - they must be really suffering
You might want to reconsider supporting that store and it's practices by spending money there
I doubt that is your intent but that is how pet stores interpret it.

Last edited:
So today at the pet store there were 2 very cute but very scared dumbo boys in the feeder tank..they were sold to the store along with their cage which of course now is for sale without them...The want $20 for the 2 boys and $75 for the cage...I just laughed and not like a haha this is funny laugh but in a this is freaking ridiculous kind of way...One of them killed off the 3 week old babies that were in there and the other has bite wounds all along his body..there is a very obviously pregnant female in with them so more babies to be killed soon.I don't usually hold the rats but these two are so confused and scared I thought I might comfort them a bit and one seemed to warm up quickly but the other was shaking like a leaf.Of course they were a kids pets and she grew tired so mom decided to make some quick cash and throw them to the wolves.She could have surrendered them to us but that doesn't make money....one of the employees said she is gonna do her best to keep them from going as feeders but she doesn't work everyday and if they keep "acting up" then they will be made to sell the asap since they are killing off the feeders....I know you can't save them all but to see something like this just really ruffles my feathers...These are supposed to be your pets but then you take them to the one place that their fate is sealed just because you walk out with cash at the end..Then to add to my frustration is the breeders in the surrounding areas don't take back the babies they breed when it's their responsibility to begin with! You chose to bring them into this world so you should make sure they don't end up being eaten or mistreated...My faith in humanity dwindles by the minute :( I did full wash down when I got home and still haven't been anywhere near the ratty room just in case I picked up something..I didn't see any sick looking rats thankfully but can never be to safe.

I don't think I would have been able to walk out of there without the 2 boys and the pregnant girl
............ who am I kidding? I know I wouldn't have been able to walk out of there with all 3 (and probably every rat in the store)
- just one more reason why I can't go into stores that sell animals ..... :(

I hear what you are saying RatPack ... and I agree

A few years ago I had a former forum member go into a pet store and claim a rat for me that had been a pet and had been dumped there
She walked in, announced that the child's mother had left him there by mistake, went into the back, called his name (Ralph) and the terrified boy came running to her, and she walked out of the store with him. Since the store had not paid for him, she took him and did not pay anything although they did have him for sale.
Ralph was a very lucky little boy, who had a good life with lots of rattie friends.

Last edited:
Awww love the stories with happy endings :) I don't know their names or I might have tried that haha. I do feel bad for the pregnant momma and all the rats there for that matter but they know no other way of life.. These boys have been pets their whole lives probably..as they dont look more than 6 months old and have gone from a decent sized cage to a 30 gallon tank with strange rats and people who think they are lower life forms.. Though I dont know how their home life was but couldn't have been worse than that.. I hope! They are also now on pine and cedar bedding and seed mix for food :(

This entire thread makes me wanna cry. I don't know how these stores aren't held more accountable for their cruelty and irresponsibility.

A year ago I saw an older male rat alone in one of their rodent windows - covered in scabs, obviously missing fur, lonely, isolated and clearly depressed. I should have complained but I didn't want to get into a confrontation with the store's manager... I wish I were stronger back then. Nobody would adopt a rat like that at first glance unless they looked past his appearance.. and few people would..

I'm constantly not picking at this store and I continuously tell them dos and donts but it goes in one ear and out the other. In fact had they moved that momma and babies to a different tank like I told them to then her and babies would be fine. Just like I suggested they move the current pregnant girl as there are 3 empty tanks in that room right now. Honestly if I see something that could be life threatening then I won't leave them so something like your describing he would have ended up here. Our girl isabell came from there..she had a huge abscess that when I asked what they were gonna do they said they would pop it like a pimple and put her back in the tank with the others. I knew it was something that needed actual medical care to get better so I brought her home and then took her to the vet were it took multiple rounds of antibiotics,drainings and a surgery to clear out all the bad tissue in her neck before we beat it. Something that she would never have gotten there and she probably would have died from the infection :(. But also I only have so many cages and so much money so I have to pick my battles. But like I said if its life threatening then I can't in good conscience let them suffer there. If you think about it they will all probably die scary deaths since they are feeders but I have to put that out of my mind or I'd have to buy the whole lot of them at which point they would get more and the cycle would continue so I have to put that factor out of my mind and think of just while they are there in the store if they are suffering or going to suffer health wise. There was a boy there last month they had alone in a tank marked aggressive but my husband got him out and he wasn't a bit aggressive...scared but not aggressive. My husband gave me a sad face when I told him to put him back but he seemed fine health wise then we went back a week or so later and he was still there but covered in lice..you could see them crawling on him without even bending down over the tank. We joked about sneaking some revolution in to treat him but when we went back the next week he had past away most likely from having the life sucked out of him by the lice the employee said he had blood coming from his eyes and nose when they found him which makes me think his immune system was so weakened by the blood suckers that he succumbed to some kind of infection. Moments like that make me think if I had taken him and treated him for the lice and gave him antibiotics for whatever crud he had then he might still be here. But we can't know when these things will happen and we can't save them all. I also have to consider if I bring home a rat(s) from the pet store and fill up my cages and then get a call from someone who can no longer keep their rats or have taken rats from a bad situation and I then dont have room for them so what happens to them ? They end up at the pet store and the cycle goes all over again. I've had people tell me that rescuing is easy.. You see a rat in need and you take it!.. It really isn't in fact it's a very delicate and complicated balance that honestly I struggle with everyday almost. Every time I walk in the pet store or see a classified add or any situation were I see rats that don't have homes. Gonna stop ranting now lol

Back