Critter Nation!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

I'm so excited! My boyfriend purchased me a single critter nation cage last night, for a Christmas present. He wanted to make sure it was the right one so he had me pick it out for him. :3

I decided to get the single first because my rats don't seem to use a lot of their hammocks in their cage, thus aren't using all of their cage space. Plus, I only have two right now so they don't need that huge double critter nation. I can always add onto it later which is what's so great! I'm so excited, I can't wait. I just got done potty training my boys aside from a few accidents here and there and the new cage will have plenty of room for more hideouts and toys!

Yesyesyesyesyes!!

I've been stalking that thread, looking at everyone's amazing cage decorations. I have a hammock set already, but they need some more interesting toys and maybe a wheel. I can't wait to buy some things to go in their new awesome cage!

The thing I'm looking forward to most is it actually being easy to clean their cage. Right now it's a B***! D;

I know I truly can't wait!! Although I think I'm underestimating it's size like a lot of people do. I'll just have to see it in person. Gotta get my fleece ready to go too! :3

Congrats on your new cage. We just got the double and it is huge. I'm sure your babies will love it as much as my girls. And yes, get the fleece ready and a lot of it lol!

Looks like I'm going on a fleece buying spree!! I think the liners are pretty easy to make. I can't wait to pimp out their cage. :D

Just ordered 2 yards of two different fabrics to start off with for my single critter nation cage. I'm so excited. :3

I just hope that's enough to start out with. I hope that's enough!! :O

Last edited:
Don't worry, you can always buy more!
You have a whole month to make some different types of hammocks. Mine won't use a flat hammock, but like ones that they can crawl inside of. Have fun!

Oh I'll have lots of fun!

Luffy is the only one who will use hammocks so far. He just likes the long straight one I have. The rest are just for climbing through and he won't even go in the tunnel hammock. Hammocks look pretty easy to make too! Since I used to sew it shouldn't be so hard. I'm pumped. :)

AAAH!

I walk through my door after work today and there it is, shining, heavenly music plays, and my eyes meet with it's non-existent ones. MY CRITTER NATION IS HERE! Unfortunately, my boyfriend has forbade me from touching it until Christmas. D; It's going to be a very long month.

At least I can start making hammocks and liners before Christmas. I can't wait guys, I'm so excited. The box is massive and weighs a ton! Omg, wasn't expecting it to be that heavy.

Ahhhh, sweet anticipation...
The good news is that you will have plenty of time to make them a couple of sets of fleece for their cage and have all kinds of fun things to set up in it. I bought some 4" drainage pipe from the hardware store. You can cut it with a regular saw and sand off any sharp areas. Then you attach it to the side or roof with zip ties. You just want to make sure it's not too long so you can reach all the way through it in case you have to retrieve someone. It's the perfect size for even full-grown rats. My rats love tubes! :)

Yup! I bought some fleece and my Grandmother bought some fleece to make stuff too. It's going to be awesome! Thanks for the ideas too! I've been looking through pictures of people's critter nations, including the critter nation we have on the forum for inspiration. But, I know I'll just have to do it when I set up the cage. Staring at pictures won't decorate my cage. It's going to be so much fun! I want to go to the dollar store and see if I can find some cool bins and things to put in there. :3

Back