Do male rats ususally get cuddly?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusion200

At which age did yours calm down? do they ususally calm down? Is even the cuddliest rat playfull and hyper as a baby?

Depends on the rat, although overall I think most would agree that boys tend to become more squishable with age than girls. I've had some young boys who were just real people rats and lived to be cuddly from an early age. But most of my boys are too busy or hormonal to be cuddly until after 1 year.

Between 18-24 months for most of ours. Some were pretty cuddly from the get go, and others it was quite the change.

It totally depends on their personalities. I had some cuddlers at a young age and some later and some never. Same thing with females. It all depends on their personality, each one is unique.

I noticed that most of mine usually seem to "age" or get cuddly around one. Although my first five were slug muffins from the day we got them. I've never had females though so I cannot give an option on them.

911 -- never had females ?:wow3:
How did that end up happening. or NOT happening?
In my experience with boys - they are hands down much more chilled than my girls. If they owned little recliners they would be in them all the time! With age ( as with the human males ) they get more & more lazy.
My girls will chill with me when they "want to". They always have some kinda antics going on in their cage. More curious and active than the boys. They shread their cardboard boxes and tote carefresh to make HUGE nests in the hammocks.

Once or twice I might have found ONE piece of cardboard that one of the more energetic boys took the time to tear and bring into their hammock... must have had to take a long nap after that!

Too expensive to spay! So I stick with boys, not that I wouldn't like to experience a girl. Perhaps some day I can find a prego when my numbers are down so I can keep them all.

Too expensive to spay! So I stick with boys, not that I wouldn't like to experience a girl. Perhaps some day I can find a prego when my numbers are down so I can keep them all.

We have had dozens of spayed girls here you just keep refusing.

Yep -- then you would certainly have a little bit of both ! Those spays are always more , no matter what kinda critter it is!

We have had dozens of spayed girls here you just keep refusing.

Actually the hubby refuses, says it will drive the unneutered boys crazy.. I'm concerned the poor girls will never get a moments peace living in a house of boys - if you know what I mean.....

So, now that mom is converting and possibly wanting her own... They have to be licky and cuddly - basically they have to be Axe, but healthy....

Actually the hubby refuses, says it will drive the unneutered boys crazy.. I'm concerned the poor girls will never get a moments peace living in a house of boys - if you know what I mean.....
The boys would be fine - the females would never cycle into heat, so would not be 'desirable'. The girls could live with the boys. I love a mixed cage. :)
When I rescued the nakies, the boys were intact. After a neuter and three weeks, they were intro'd to the girls. They still had the drive and Albert mated with several of the girls, but only because they were in heat and let him. If they were not in heat, he wouldn't bother trying. He has since lost the drive to mate and hasn't in quite some time.

The boys would be fine - the females would never cycle into heat, so would not be 'desirable'. The girls could live with the boys. I love a mixed cage. :)
When I rescued the nakies, the boys were intact. After a neuter and three weeks, they were intro'd to the girls. They still had the drive and Albert mated with several of the girls, but only because they were in heat and let him. If they were not in heat, he wouldn't bother trying. He has since lost the drive to mate and hasn't in quite some time.

I wasn't aware of that. Just kept picturing a poor female with a bunch of horny male rats....

I have 4 boys with 4 complete different personalities. They are all still babies. Two are only 7 weeks old right now. The other 2 are about 4 months. They all like to be loved. But frosty, one of my little 7-week olds, I can tell he's going to be lazy and cuddly. He already is. He will just let you hold him and let him and he's probably thinking "I just wanna sleep". He is very active as well though. But when he's around people, it's all about the lovins. Haha.

I've never owned girls either D; I'm hoping to get girls too someday, lol.

Back