Advice Needed for Older Babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptjack526

Hello all! We have agreed to take in five rat boys from a friend who does not have time for them anymore. They will get here on Christmas Eve. They will come with an older DCN, water bottle and one hammock. We are planning on keeping them in my son's room which is on the other side of the house from our current ratties and will have zero contact with each other. Three of the rats are 1.6 years old, one is 2 years old, and the last one is 9 months. My questions are: Are boys much smellier/messier than girls? Are there any special considerations that I should know about due to their age? How should I set up the cage for older boys? I want to make sure I'm ready for their arrival and that I have planned for all contingencies. I will of course do my own research online but I also want to get advice from people who actually know what they are talking about. Oh, and two of the boys are hairless rats so any advice on their skin care would be appreciated. Thanks for any and all advice.

The boys we will be getting :)

Eastyn and Ollie - The nakies (1.6 years)
Copenhagen - the youngest
Mouse - The scruffier grey one (1.6 years)
Dixon - Black berkshire (The eldest)

8ygbyp.jpg

1endjk.jpg

4ujp5c.jpg

1zp4kzq.jpg

13zuwqs.jpg

1zoxpih.jpg

2mn4r9l.jpg

w2hlci.jpg

I tried to reply to this while at work today but was just too busy. I only have boys furry and naked - 5 months to almost 2 years old - 17 total. I see now from your pics your getting a rex too ♡♥♡♥♡♥

Last edited:
CongRATS!
First of all, yes. Boys are much more smellier than girls but some people don't mind the musky smell. If you keep your son's door shut, it will be a bother, but if the door stays open, then you might not even notice it.
The boys are old enough that they are probably settled with their colony and no longer produce too much sebum which would add to the smell. A two level CN with 5 boys shouldn't be bad with odour at all.
These boys are all fairly young enough still that you don't need any special decorations or accommodations for the cage. Do the same as you do for your girls. They don't mind pink either. lol

Back