Mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

I'm starting to think my rats have mites. They itch a decent amount and today I found a scab on Simon. But it's just one. I'm not sure if it's mites or if it's just another place where Luffy has pulled Simon's fur out. It's hard to tell. I've caught Luffy in the act before, but it was just a small piece of fur before.

Mites would be more an all over thing wouldn't they? Plus, the area is about the size of a dime and I think it happened today because I'm sure I would have noticed it yesterday if it as there. Luffy looks clean as far as I can tell, but he's not the best about letting me touch him so I haven't been able to look close.

Here's the best pictures I got.
kaoSra9.jpgp

BLpVlA1.jpg

Last edited:
Sound and looks like it could definitely be mites. That's so easy to treat, so I would treat for them. It could also explain luffys aggression, rats can get aggressive when they have bugs.

That one, is behind his front leg. He has a smaller one on his neck scruff. Like I said, I've seen Luffy do this in smaller amounts and they do tussle cause Luffy is a bully and needs to get neutered. Before I found this, Simon was clear of missing patches. It could very likely be just pulled out fur because I have seen them going at it these past couple of days.

Do I just keep my eye on it and see if these disappear before I take them to the vet?

That one, is behind his front leg. He has a smaller one on his neck scruff. Like I said, I've seen Luffy do this in smaller amounts and they do tussle cause Luffy is a bully and needs to get neutered. Before I found this, Simon was clear of missing patches. It could very likely be just pulled out fur because I have seen them going at it these past couple of days.

Do I just keep my eye on it and see if these disappear before I take them to the vet?

I would. Or order in some Revo from the US or AUS and treat them anyways :)

I might just do that!

I have a couple more questions though. Is there any way it could be fleas? I swear I saw a flea in my room the other night. I was appalled. D;

Also, what is Revo exactly. All I know is that it treats mites in rats. Actually, I can probably look this one up. Ha

Just caught Luffy pulling out another piece of hair. It has to be him. Idk man, I'm still going to get Revo and treat them.

Luffy needs to get neutered right away. My poor Simon. But he's the one who usually starts it. It's just supposed to be a game though and then Luffy takes it farther.

Sound and looks like it could definitely be mites. That's so easy to treat, so I would treat for them. It could also explain luffys aggression, rats can get aggressive when they have bugs.

I was at Ness the other day and asked for a Rx for Revolution to restock our supply since we just dosed the boys. I didn't think they would carry it since they don't treat cats/dogs, but they do have the kitten formula in stock for our little boys or girls - its $18/tube. Just thought I'd let you know if your ever in need. I'll restock after Christmas now since I know its available.
I might just do that!

I have a couple more questions though. Is there any way it could be fleas? I swear I saw a flea in my room the other night. I was appalled. D;

Also, what is Revo exactly. All I know is that it treats mites in rats. Actually, I can probably look this one up. Ha

I usually determine critters by scabs around the chin and neck. If I find a bunch there I treat for them. Revolution for kittens/puppies 0-5 lbs is what you want to get.

Thanks for the helpful information! I'm definitely going to get some Revo just in case since(from what I've read) it works like Frontline or Advantage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. X3 Might as well treat them just in case and protect them too.

There's isn't a bunch of little scabs. Just two big ones. Luffy tends to rip out fur but it's usually in small amounts. This time, they were larger spots. But, who knows what happens when I'm not around to watch them. I'm starting to not think it's mites because they don't itch that much, but they do itch and there's the Luffy thing. :)

There has been no more scabs, but the are around the two scabs he has is loosing hair. They don't even really look like scabs. There's a few black dots that I can't identify as anything other than tiny scabs.

Definitely getting the Revo. It occurred to me that if he's loosing fur around the area then it wouldn't be from Luffy pulling hair. Ugh, Idk what else it could be really but it doesn't seem like mites.

edit: Scratch that. I found two more small scabs around the main ones. My poor baby.

Last edited:
Simon is loosing more hair around his scabs and getting more new ones. I'm thinking I'm going to have to suck it up and take him to the vet instead of waiting two weeks for the Revolution to get here. :/

My poor baby.

Problem solved! I spoke to my vet's son, who is my friend, and I'm going in tomorrow. I discovered they sell Revo there and his sister will check them out and weigh them for free. Then I can get my Revolution and treat my babies!! :)

I was worried that I was going to have to wait to treat them. I don't want them itching anymore.

Back