Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cahillsara

Right now each of my babies are in a cage like this. I am wanting to get each another one, and take the cage part, and attach it to the top of the other. So that each cage it taller. Can anyone give me any ideas how to do that?? PLEASE!!:help:

cage I have.jpg

We use those cages as "hospital" cages when our boys need to be separated from the others due to illness, injury, or surgical procedure. Your better off getting a CN (critter nation) or any similar cage with metal base since rats have been known to chew though the plastic base. That is of course, if your planning to put them together.

I believe from your other thread, there is one male and one female which have already been bred. Please don't put them together! Unless you plan on spaying/neutering them first! I would recommend that you rehome either mom or dad with some of their same sex babies and then invest in a proper size cage to keep one of the parents and some of the same sex babies.

You have 14 rats currently in 2 of those cages?
That's nowhere near enough room. While they are babies this might work for you but you need much larger cages for adults, at least 2 cubic feet for each rat.
I don't think you will have much luck stacking those cages. Those bottom pans could eventually get chewed up and cutting up wire like that can cause accidental injuries.
I'd recommend not bothering with those cages at all and getting a Martins or Critter Nation.

As of right now I have 2 of these cages. One cage has my male and one has my female and her babies. I am keeping 1-2 males and 1-2 females from that litter so that each of mine have a buddy in their cage. That is why I am wanting to do this to my cages.

Rat cages need to be at least 4 cubic feet in size with an additional 2 feet of cage space for each rat more then 2. So 3 rats would need a cage that is at least 6 cubic feet in size. A rat cage needs to have a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches and height with levels.

I hope that you will get all the girls spayed or the boys neutered by a vet experienced in successful surgery on rats .
(See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691 for info re surgery)
There are many health benefits to getting girls spayed.

Having 2 unaltered sexes in the same household is an accident waiting to happen.
Rats are very smart, and very motivated when someone is in heat.
And people are not 100% perfect all of the time.
Rats go into heat every 3 to 4 days.
I have heard of rats getting out of cages in the basement and getting to rats of the opposite sex in a third floor bedroom.

A double CN cage has small bar spacing, can hold up to 10 rats and can be divided into 2 cages.
It is a wise investment so you might consider getting one.

You should also be aware that it can be very difficult to find good homes for rats so you may end up keeping more rats then you were planning on. Here is some info that may help http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23041

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:
Back