Hello :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cahillsara

Hello everyone. I would consider myself a new rat owner. I started out by saving my baby boy from the feeders tank at a local pet store. Went to get another and ended up with a female. LOVED their colors and markings and had a lot of people asking me to breed them so they could have one of their babies. I did just that.. I have 12 lil ones right now that will be 2 weeks old on Saturday :)

It's really unfortunate that you chose to breed two rats that you knew no genetic history behind. I hope the babies don't inherit any life threatening genes, and that those lot of people still want babies. Good luck and welcome.

Welcome! Please spend some time reading posts here on the forum so you can see why breeding rats is terribly unnecessary as we have so many in need of homes right now.

Also note this is a rescue forum so we do not allow talk of purposeful breeding.

Welcome to the forum. Please remember that the babies must be adopted out in same sex pairs/trios. It would be irresponsible to adopt out single rats since rats are highly social and need companions.

I know all of this. I choose to breed these rats because I have guaranteed homes for all of them. I am even keeping 2 or 3 of them myself.:redhot:

Please note that baby boys are separated from mom and sisters at 5 weeks. Baby girls stay with mom until at least 6 weeks old and never need to be separated.

Also I am sure you are aware that rats need to be rehomed in same sex pairs or larger groups.

Breeding rats takes homes away from all the rescue rats already born and that are in need of homes ... There are many many reasons not to breed rats, especially those with unknown genetic backgrounds.
Hope the babies will all be healthy long term and that the adopters you have lined up will not change their minds but will give them good homes.

This forum encourages people to get rats being rehomed, from accidental litters, or from shelters or rescues.

I know all of this. I choose to breed these rats because I have guaranteed homes for all of them. I am even keeping 2 or 3 of them myself.:redhot:

Your purposely bred rats are taking home from rescue rats who are in need. Until we no longer have accidental litters, feeder breeders and rat rescues there is no reason to breed. And on top of that you are breeding 2 rats whose genetics are completely unknown to you which is very dangerous.

I hope you will stick around to share stories about your babies and learn from our many members.

Welcome to the Rat Shack!
There is lots to read here, all kinds of great info on rat care, rat fun, rat love...rat everything. We are here to help, to share and support.
Please consider rescuing rats next time instead of breeding. There are far too many rats needing homes out there.

How do i remove myself from this group? Ever since i joined i have felt attacked for choosing to breed my rats, and that is NOT why i joined this group. :cuss:

This forum is for people who support rescuing rats. I'm sorry the forum won't change entirely just for you.
No one here has attacked you, at worst we have pointed out that what you did can have unforseen consequences.
Part of being a mature adult is accepting flaws and taking constructive criticism and advice from other people. If you can't handle advice or the foundation of the entire forum, this may indeed not be a good place for you.
If you don't like it, simply log off and do not visit the site again, it's that simple.

Maybe you should look into the amount of rats that need homes rather than doing this. I am sure you have felt the wrath of how breeding is accepted here but there is really no reason to create babies because you had homes. I have petstore rats who were put together carelessly and we have 5 handicap rats because of it. Those genes you bred were most likely so horrible that the problems they wiil have later will cost you and your friends tons of money to care for. We rescue daily and to pounce on here bragging how you just plopped two petstores rats together only shows how oblivious you are to the fight that rescues face and rats themselves face. They are meant to be pets not baby making machines. I encourage you to read posts and learn about why this is not a thing to feel good about.

Rats are amazing pets but they are so mistreated and overbred that it is horrible. If you care about rats, read about their daily fights and how horrible they are treated by people.

:yeah:
Please, if you could take a bit of time to read some of the rescue stories on this forum I'm sure you'll see what we are on about and how rewarding it can be to rescue.

Back