New rescue landed on my doorstep yesterday - meet Toby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

While I was working a couple of weeks ago, a lady who knew I had rats told me about this rat. Her daughter was with a few kids and they were tired of this rat and going to throw him outside, so the daughter scooped him up and took him home. She is a busy teenager, and didn't really have time for him, so wanted to find him a home. I said OK as at that time I was looking for another rat to keep a lonely girl company whose sister had just died, for an acquaintance. Time goes by and I thought they had decided to keep the rat. Then the daughter drops by the office and asks me if I will take him. What could I say? So she brought him over in his tiny hamster cage and I took him home.
He is hooded agouti (?) with a tiny spot on his back and weighs 414g. I think he is approx one year old. And he is very scared. Every time I present my hand, he hids in this tiny box they had for him. I don't think he has eaten any of the Harlan or Oxbow I have given him. He finally took a piece of tomato, and then scrambled eggs that I had for supper tonight. I didn't try to pick him up yesterday. I just left him in that little cage so he wouldn't get too worried. Tonight I moved him into the much bigger Rat Resort cage. His new name is Toby. I have never had a rat like this before. I hope he will come around and be much more confident. His neuter is booked for Dec 5th so he still has a while on his own. I was planning on trying to rehome him for that lone female. We'll have to see how his temperament pans out.

Pictures from last night:

359b076d0ac55ad68e22e7c2d53c8b6e.jpg

26fbeebe2233cccd9cddb8f7aaa1fef6.jpg

He is reddish. I had him out last night, but he won't stay under my sweater and is skittery, always moving, can't relax. He also feels different than my other rats. I think it must be muscle tone? His coat is very flat too, so maybe he is just not as fluffy as Tabi is and that makes him feel different.

Toby is so beautiful and sweet looking Joanne..what a precious boy. I am not surprised he is scared, the poor baby. He has probably gone through a lot, and being handled by a bunch of kids ready to throw him out, etc. Poor sweetheart. He will relax when he gets settled and realizes he is safe and loved. I am pulling for him. :heart:

When I saw his first picture, my first thought was "what a good boy!". I have never been wrong on those feelings so far, so I honestly believe you have a lovely cuddly boy in your hands, that is just waiting to make sure he can trust you. Not too sure you will be rehoming him... :giggle:

ll he be neutered and put with the girls you currently have?
He is scheduled for a neuter in two weeks. He has some respiratory issues, so that will give the meds a chance to kick in. I was hoping to rehome him, but with him being so unsure coming here, I don't think he would do well with a fourth home in a few months. I am still working on intros to get Tabi into the bigger group. Hopefully a neutered boy will be easier (the boss lady Ruby is the problem hold out).

Oh, I hope SO much you can keep Toby..I was so amazed and happy to see him riding on your shoulder so soon and as Lilspaz said, he seems to already be looking to you as his Big Protector, definitely. I will be crossing my fingers that he finally gets to stay put and have you as his Forever Mom. I know he is already falling in love with you...:cheerful:

So Toby is not allowed to have play dates with the other rats yet (neuter is next week!). His cage is on top of the DCN (safer from the cats). My rats are climbers, so it didn't take long for them to make for his cage. There really isn't any squeaking or huffing. I think the girls find him sexy. No toes are being nipped, so I think he is enjoying himself.
The pics are fuzzy, but you get the idea. Jade and Juno are teasing him.

b98f931cb0ca9216645aad93be7a5091.jpg

8ba1545002fba53d4104080308a67d80.jpg

9fba9ab6d3d3c95906562d5c8b012f2e.jpg

Back