Warren October 2011-November 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

In October 2013 I found Warren and his brothers listed on a Kijiji ad. They had been abandoned by their owner and the roommate was trying to find a new home for them. I didn’t know much about them other than they were 2 years old, abandoned, covered in mites and living in poor conditions. I immediately picked them up and fell in love faster than I thought possible.

These boys who had been abandoned and left in their cage alone for months were the happiest, most friendly rats I’ve ever had. From the moment I took them out of the cardboard box they came in they were happy, bruxing boys. They were truly sweethearts. They all hold a special place in my heart and no other rat could compare to them. They were my first big squishy rat men.

Warren lost his brothers in June and July 2014, just shy of their 3rd birthday. Shortly after their deaths he became ill and I wasn’t sure if he’d make it or not. But we fought hard. I wasn’t going to give up on him and hoped he still had enough fight in him. I wanted him to see his 3rd birthday, and he did. It was a very special day.

Warren was a very special rat. I spent more time with him than my cats, dogs, and even my family. We were glued to each other, pals, cage mates. He spent almost 24/7 with me. We would hang out on the couch, desk, bathroom or bed. Even at night time he stayed out with me. He really was only in his cage when I wasn’t home, which isn’t often. When he did have to go into his cage, or bedroom as I called it, he always came running to the door ready to come out when I came to get him. He popcorned around every day until he was about 30 months when I played with him, clicking my hand on the floor or cage bottom. He was the only rat that ever played with me.

He was such a great big “brother” to a little fellow named Cooper who had no where to go, was terrified and didn’t get along with anyone. The brothers took him in instantly and they were always the best of friends. They completely brought him out of his shell. He went from a rat who was terrified of all other rats to while still being anti-social, no longer scared of other rats.

He’d take time to himself - go eat, sleep on his own or do “rat things”. But he always came back, hopped on my lap and cuddled. He had a special spot laying on me with his head on my elbow nook. He bruxed constantly, even though most of his bruxing was lip smacking. It was the most adorable thing. He never had an accident on me, he’d do everything he could to hop off me rather than go on me. If I crawled throughout the house he would follow, stopping when I stopped, turning where I turned. When we brought our new baby home in October he fell in love. He loved to take time sitting on my lap, then the babies. If I was cuddling the baby he'd wedge himself between us.

His last weeks weren’t great. He was on multiple meds that he hated having to take, he had PA that made it difficult to breath and if that wasn’t enough for an old man, he had some trouble getting around. But he still loved to cuddle and fought hard. At the end he went quick. One day he was running around and the next he couldn’t move. His passing was very peaceful. He passed away while cuddling on my chest. He slowly stopped breathing and that was that. I am very thankful that he had a peaceful passing, as I’ve had many rats not get so lucky. And I’m so thankful I was able to be there for him when his time came.

We were pals, he was my best friend. Losing him is like losing a part of me. Even when he could hardly move around he would work as hard as he could to get to my lap. Suddenly something that was always with me no longer is. I miss everything about him. I would have done anything for him. But I have comfort knowing it was his time and I did everything I could for him. Why do their lives have to be so short? I love all my rats, but some just hold a very special place in your heart. In the last 5 months I lost my 4 favourite ratties. I don’t like saying I had favourites, but I did. Some rats just steal a special place in your heart. I love the rest of my rats, but we just don’t have the same bond.

Rest in peace handsome. I hope you know just how much you were loved. I hope you and your brothers have found each other and are doing well. Cooper and I miss you more than I could ever explain. The heartbreak of losing you is unbelievable, but getting to know you and love you was worth it. I wish I we would have had longer together. I don’t know how someone could ever abandon these sweet boys, but I’m glad they did because it meant I was lucky enough to know and love them.

DSC_0122_zpsb1c6d626.jpg

DSC_0180_zps57022230.jpg

DSC_0050_zps4320d8e5.jpg

He was a really great rat brother...
DSC_0326_zps76e53df2.jpg

DSC_0181_zps095dfa17.jpg

DSC_0483_zpse843b8ee.jpg

DSC_0512_zps2f64dd0f.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSSJfXfXaE&feature=em-upload_owner[/ame]

And an even better brother to the baby...
20141109_142852_zpsb0d50e6d.jpg

He took our sweet, very sick Ainslie under his wing until she passed...
20140902_094220_zps6e23dd39.jpg

He loved shoulders, day or night...
20140831_193836_zps130adb2d.jpg

20141008_182530_zps318dc5a1.jpg

Rest in peace Warren, you'll be missed.
DSC_0287_zps42239da0.jpg

Warren passed on November 19 at 12:03PM.

Last edited:
It sounds like he was a very special little man. You will miss him all the more because you spent so much time together. How wonderful you were able to have that kind of relationship.
Rest easy Warren...
Hugs to your broken-hearted mom :hugs:

Sorry for your loss, he was such a gorgeous ratman. We all know how hard it is to lose our babies especially our "heart" rats, those that just grab our hearts a bit tighter than others, and take a bigger piece with them when they leave us.

:rose2: RIP Warren!

Oh my gosh that was the most beautiful tribute a ratty could ask for, and it is so clear that Warren was a truly special individual. What a beautiful boy, inside and out. His photos were so touching...being with the baby and others, looking up at the camera with his sweet smile. I fell in love.

He was absolutely your heart rat and I can tell from your memorial how very special he was in your life. He was one of a kind and I know how much you are hurting.

These special ones leave such a huge void that is hearbreaking. I truly feel your pain. We just lost our heart rat, Achilles last month and we are still reeling from the loss.

Warren was so lucky to have you and anyone who reads his story can easily tell how much he adored you and vice versa.
I know he is with his buddies again at the Bridge and looking down at you with such love...and probably bragging to all his friends about what a super mother you were.

You did Warren proud by your wonderful tribute...I feel like I knew him myself after reading your memorial to him. Feel happy knowing you gave him a wonderful life full of love. I am so grateful his path crossed yours. I know you will never forget him, nor will the people who read your memorial.

You are so right...Warren was very lucky to pass at home, peacefully, with his favorite person in the world, snuggled right up against you. I too wish all of my babies had been able to pass that way. We always wish our ratties had longer lives. It is so devastating to lose them after such a short time. To us it is a short time, but I always hope that to our fur babies, it feels like a full lifetime to them, according to their own clock. But it still hurts so bad for us humans to see them leave.

Rest easy, eats lots of wonderful num nums and enjoy all that Paradise at the Bridge has to offer, Sweet Warren...we love you.

:flowers1:

Last edited:
Back