Poops seem small / dry

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

2fb061e0af5bee7e1c4fcef3d24bebbd.jpg

Lately I have noticed some small and dry looking poops in the cage, see picture. I know there are about 1-5 a day, as I remove any that aren't in the litter box.

Just wondering if they are abnormal looking? I'm used to the big nasty ones haha. I have 4 water bottles and they often get watermelon and/or cucumber, so I really don't see how anyone could be dehydrated.

They almost look like old ones. But I can't imagine anyone digging around in the litter box for poop to pull our and put elsewhere. :0

Well they eat oxbow. And at nite I give them some stuff, typical foods are peas, carrots, corn, grapes, whatever veggies I have. I gave them some romaine last night and found a big wet poop were I normally find the small dry poops. Though, I also gave them some yogurt last night.
I have no clue who it is. :0

Did you find just the one or are there a lot more? If it's just one, I wouldn't worry but if there's more, I'd try to find the pooper and check to see for any other symptoms like discomfort or porphyrin.

The small ones or the big one? I found just one big one today. I have found a few small ones over the past week, like 1-5 a day. It's really unusual for me to find any outside of the litter boxes, but I figured this was happening because litter box locations changed when I moved them in together.

I've been checking everyone, no pory and no signs of discomfort that I can see.

I have inspected all available poop. The ones in the boxes all look normal, and I found another bigger wetter poop where I found the first one tonight.
Hm. I wonder what it is though. Cause they had yogurt, romaine and I did also put some crispix in with their snack last night. All of which they've had less of for various reasons.

The big wet one would be due to more veggies, usually. But the small dry ones, those concern me. But if you don't find too many and you don't see any other symptoms in the rats, then it might be worth skipping any veggies/treats/extras the next couple of days and just giving them pumpkin puree.

I think I will try to cut out the extras tomorrow. I've already got their veggies out for them tonight, although significantly less.

Pumpkin puree, huh? Is that like the stuff in the can that people fill pies with?

Haha okay I will grab some tomorrow. Tonight they had some crispix at out time but I am keeping the extras minimal. Hopefully no small poos again tomorrow. I'll try out no extras cept pumpkin tomorrow too. :)
I have high suspicion that it is rocky, he used to eat soooo much yogurt during intros and now he only gets a spoonful sometimes.

I agree, I let them share a teaspoon or so a day cause I didn't wanna cut him off cold turkey but I know it's not a good food for him. :p

441a7522750fb145f4d878640cfc4fbd.jpg

These are the poops not in the box today. Definitely thinking it's rocky coming off of the yogurt. These are actually better than they were before.

I got pumpkin tonight so they will have some.

Pumpkin is also recommended for cats who have smaller poops than they should have so that their anal glands will be expressed properly with a bigger poop. Rice is binding and usually recommended for diarrhea (someone suggested to give rice).

Hopefully your rat's digestion will resolve itself. If not, as everyone says on here alot, "Take your rat to the vet's". Although this advice is given at the first chance somebody gets I think we as rat owner's already know this - don't we? :)

Back