Using Hammocks!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

Okay, so I recently got my boys some hammocks and a tunnel but they don't seem to know what they're for or how to use them. The only thing I've seen Luffy do with one of them is use it to look out of the cage with a view. X3

He also uses the one I specifically placed low to the ground in a bare corner he hangs out in, but that's the only one.

Do they kind of just pick up the hammock sleeping behavior on their own? Or do you teach them? I mean, their cage is awesome but they don't seem to use most of the things I put in there for them. They just like the plastic sleeping house they have and one bare corner of the cage. Silly rats. :p

My rats pick and choose when they wanna use their hammocks :) There are a few of them that are always snuggled in one and then there are the others that sometimes they use them but most times they sleep on the floors of their cages and usually in a corner haha. When I first introduces hammocks to them they really didn't know what to think of them but over time they just realized that sometimes it is a nice place curl up and take a nap :) or hide their food. They will figure it out in time and some might think it is the best thing ever and some might think eh it is good on occasion but it is good to give them the option :)

Try putting them in the hammocks. I think some rats do not use them. I have only had 1 that would not use one. He preferred to use the igloo. Maybe if a rat had never been exposed to a hammock, they might be leary, but I feel probably most like them.
The 6 I have are hammock hogs!

When I first got my 3 older boys, they had never had hammocks before and when I put them in the cage, they had no idea what to do with them.. They just slept on the floor of the cage or in boxes. They were curious about them though and finally I just plopped them all in the hammocks.. They soon figured out that hammocks are wonderful things and I get death glares from them when I have to remove them for washing or if I only hang 2 hammocks when they clearly require 5 or more :p Sometimes when I'm unhooking them, they won't even get out of the hammock.. they'll just go limp in protest!

My rats prefer hammocks with a roof. They won't sleep in an open hammock. Safer I guess. ;)
You could 'seed' the hammock with treats to encourage them to climb on them.

My rats need a few days, even a week, to get used to a hammock. They don't seem to want to touch it if it doesn't smell like them or if they aren't used to it being in the cage. Also, make sure it feels very sturdy and secure-- if you'd wanna lay in it, chances are they will, too. :)

Well, the hammocks have only been in there for a few days. Hopefully they'll start using them because not only are they comfy, they're warmer than the bottom of the cage! If Luffy uses the one in the corner then maybe he'll be more inclined to use other ones too. As for Simon, well he's less curious about things to it might take him a while. I'll just keep hoping and maybe place treats like Joanne said. :3

I mean, they're fun to look at, comfy, warm, and fun so I hope they come around.

Luffy has learned to use his hammocks! I found him in the long high one this morning, boggling and bruxing away. He loves it! So excited about this. :)

Back