Forced Socialization

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

I hope this belongs here. I wasn't 100% sure. Do you have to do forced socialization with new rats? If you have the time to let them slowly get to know you is that okay? Or should I be doing forced socialization regardless?

No you don't have to do it. You can do trust training instead, which is the same as "let them slowly get to know you". Forced socialization wouldn't be recommend for previously abused rats, traumatized rats, etc. Whatever works for you and your rat is best! C:

In the past I would have said yes but not anymore. Science shows that animals do far better with a softer, slower approach. www.joinrats.com have some great tips on how to socialize rats. I highly recommend using their techniques.

I've never done it. I've let all of my rats slowly get use to me. Some took to me right away, some not so much. I have one that took 9 months to crawl on my lap when he's out. I don't force anything with my guys - except meds lol.

Thanks so much guys! I can't tell you how relieved I am. I'm very sensitive and can often feel what others are feeling so I hated forced socialization and couldn't bring myself to do it this time. Trust training is so much better!

I do a pretty mild version of forced socialization. Where they just have to sit with me on a chair, and I pet them and I give them treats if they let me pet/hold them. I did the hoodie trick with one of my rats mainly because he loved hiding and felt safe in there. My other rats I only did the chair since they didn't like being confined. My newest rat since he was abused I don't do anything except pet him and give him treats. I usually just adjust to each rat though. So no, I don't think it's necassary to do it.

Back