Uri??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

My boy Buck is super active. But he's making these whistle sounds when he breaths and right now he's making these weezing sounds...
Kinda like a wheez and then a sneeze... I don't really know how to describe it.... Vet is closed...

[ame]https://vimeo.com/110625642[/ame]
[ame]https://vimeo.com/110625688[/ame]
The clicking noises are him in the first video....
I'm really worried.... I have antibiotics for him from when he hand scratches. Something called SMZ TMP

Yes he sounds very wet and congested. The SMZ TMP is by another name called Bactrim, you may have heard of it. It is a good antibiotic but is better for soft tissue infection and is not effective against mycoplasma, the common cause of respiratory illness in rats. If that is all you have then it is better than nothing, but I would call the vet in the am and see if they can prescribe something more appropriate. I think steaming him in the bathroom might be worth a try too.

Thank you soo much Sheldon!!
I was really worrying about him...
He seems to be breathing a bit better now that he has calmed down...
I'll call the vet and ask about different meds... It's looking like Buck might be a huge pain in the butt to feed meds... I mixed the SMZ TMP with peanut butter and honey and put it on some bread... He ate the regular bread and left the medicine mix... But he stole the metal spoon I used to mix it... Sooo idk....

Thanks Sheldon!
Vet wouldn't just prescribe without seeing them first. So we have a vet apt for 9 AM Monday...
My poor boy isn't feeling well today... Couldn't get him to come out and say hi this morning.... I reached in to check on him and he moved further away... Couldn't hear any congested breathing from him though so maybe he was just feeling a little grumpy...

I mix the meds with a small amount of peanut butter and then a crushed up gerber puff and make a small treat ball. Good luck. Hope he feels better soon...

I agree, he should be on meds. Rats really shouldn't make any noise at all when breathing. Ask your vet for baytril/enrofloxacin, and he should be in it for at least 4 weeks.

Thanks guys!
Little bit of whistling coming from him now so I really thing the stress made him make those awful noises. But still going to the vets cuz even the whistling isn't normal. Dragged him out for cuddles and he sat in my lap and after a little while started grooming himself. :)
He's much more active now that I got him out. I think he's looking for the left over pumpkin seeds that they've been getting

Back