HED or PT?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattyratty

Hi,

I have a female rat, Nom Nom, who is having a hard time with her back legs, climbing, jumping, and getting around. I've had her for 28 months, so she is probably around 30 months old. She was spayed when we got her, and is generally healthy with some sneezing and a little eye and nose crust. She has however been peeing really dark/red for months now, we tried antibiotics previously, but it didnt help.

Anyway, she doesnt have a hard time eating, just mainly climbing, walking and jumping, and her tail drags now. Her back legs have always been fairly week and she was never a great climber and jumper.

My main question is how do you determine if she has a PT or just HED? We went to the vet yesterday and they were impressed with her mobility as she wandered around the room, but we decided to try baytril and prednisone which i started last night and today she was walking a bit better with her tail actually not 100% dragging.

Would prednisone help with hed, or arthritis or only if it was a PT?

Any other info would be great! Just so worried about her (even though she is super happy, i feel like i know something she doesnt!)

Does her urine smell? I would be more concerned that she may have a painful UTI and needs a longer course of antibiotics and pain medication. If that is not the case - PT can be determined by a cheerios test (or any small treat) can she use her front paws? In PT they cannot.

I mean I guess her urine smells pretty bad, just used to it by now. She can hold all sorts of treats currently, but does the loss of use of hands happen in later stages or after hind leg weakness/decline? I gave her a slice of apple and she could hold it as well as total, rice crispies, and sunflower seeds, etc. So i dont feel like her hands are currently affected. Her sister (non really related) had to be pts in august because of a tumor/stone possibly in her bladder. I think we gave nom nom orbax and another antibiotic to help treat a possible uti over the summer when also treating her sister.

She hasn't squeaked or anything when being held or anything so I can't really tell if she is in a ton of pain. THe antibiotics she is on now is set for 14days. I will just have to check her pee more to see if it gets less red/dark over the course of treatment.

They need antibiotics for 6 weeks minimum and it sounds like she needs pain killers. It is probably painful to walk and that is why she isn't. PT starts with the front paws and the first noticeable symptom. Rat's urine should not have a bad smell - your girl has something wrong and it sounds like a bad infection.

Thanks for the replies! I will update and keep an eye on her.

Does prednisone help with HED? Because she was feeling better this morning, but it could be from the antibiotics kicking in. Or she was in a good mood.

Here is her this morning
rsz_imagejpeg_0.jpg

I am concerned about her dark urine. She may have HED but she may also have an ongoing infection/problem with her bladder. She should definitely be on antibiotics long term as this problem is well-established and probably resistant to regular treatment.
Also, this may sound strange, but has she been treated with Revolution recently? Something I read recently mentioned bladder worms and that Revo treated them. It may be a long shot, but it can't hurt and may cure her. Her sister could have been infected too. Do a search for "bladder worms rats"
This seems to be something important that I have never seen mentioned on the Shack. I urge you to try it for her.

Oops didnt see these replies!

Yeah I agree I am going to try to talk to the vet and keep her on antibiotics or get another combo since her urine hasnt changed much in the week she has been on antibiotics.

However I just posted a new thread, she is having another serious issue! and I dont know what to do, she isnt ok and not eating or drinking.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=460962#post460962

I saw your video of your girl and want to confirm ruling out of PT as she's very bright-eyed and relatively agile as she's scratching, just a bit feeble in the back end, which is definitely a sign of HED in older rats.

Back