Tabi: keep her or on to a new home?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

OK, so last December I rescued a group of nakies. I ended up keeping six and rehoming two pairs. One of the girls has died and her sister is now alone. I was considering helping them get two young ones so that when the older girl passed (Gertie) that there would be two remaining, but the cage is not big enough for three grown rats.
So the options seem to be
1. Keep Gertie by herself (age unknown, but at least 1.5 years old)
2. Introduce my latest rescue Tabi to Gertie (age unknown)
The reason I am considering Tabi is that she is still not intro'd to the group - Ruby keeps biting her and drawing blood (ask my finger which got it one day!). I don't know if I will ever be able to integrate Tabi until Ruby is gone.
Now Ruby used to live with Gertie a year ago, but I am not that sure about Ruby's health and don't want to rehome a rat with potential problems.
I have a bigger cage I could give her, but the bar spacing is too wide for babies. She can't afford to spay and neuter, so I would have to pay for any neuter if she ended up with boys.
There was a single female on Kijiji but she was gone before I could get her.
So, opinions?

I kinda like your idea of introducing Gertie and Tabi. I would say to try that and see if it is a success, and if not we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Back