Ok to Increase Baytril & Then Stop It?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundyrats

Hi all, I've got Layla on a Baytril and Doxy combo once daily, it's maintenance drugs and she's been on it for over a year and doing well. Lately, she's getting a lot more snuffly and I'm fearing this is the beginning of the end. The problem is that I'm going away next week for 5 days and she'll only be able to have her doxy (she's a two person medicater).
Can I increase her Baytil to twice daily starting now for 5 days and then leave her with only the doxy for 5 days and then back on the Baytril as soon as I get back?
How bad is this for her system? And when I get back should she go on Baytril twice daily again?

If she requires baytril, stopping it will be detrimental no matter if you up it before hand or afterwards. But I've noticed that some rats who have been on baytril forever, stopping it doesn't seem to affect them so much. Especially since your girl is only on one dose for maintenance. Chances are, she doesn't need it or might do well with a break from meds. But regardless, it will be a chance you take.

Thanks jorats. I really appreciate the reply. I'm going to get someone to come daily and help my partner medicate her so she stays on the Baytril and I'll stick with once daily.
A couple weeks ago I weighed Layla to make sure she was still getting the right dosage. She was getting .02ml but should have only been getting .018ml. Looking back, I think the increase of her snuffliness co-incided with the drop in meds. I've increased back to .02ml again and I'm seeing a gradual improvement. So I'm not sure how bad it is to over-dose on abs slightly but it seems to be helping.

Back