Two bright spots in my difficult day

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

Phil's passing this morning was painful, but not at all unexpected. With his loss and Gumdrop's poor health and old age, I had prepared to add some new babies to my little dwindling group.

Tonight, my housemates and I made a roadtrip to pick up two girls in need of a new home. They are now all safe and settled in. I cannot get any good pictures yet. They're too nervous and curious to sit still. But I can share the picture that I first saw of them in the ad online.

aa30fcdc6e85721fd16170a5374fb6c2.jpg

Trill is the hooded one, being smushed by her sister, and Tremolo is the dumbo on top. Trill is very friendly. She's already a shoulder rat. Trem is terrified of everything right now. She spent quite a bit of her time in her new home hiding in my shirt. Mostly, she hides behind Trill. They've both been handled often. They're just still nervous.

Not seeing Phil when I come into my room is hard. The reality really started hitting me a few hours ago. But having my girls, and now the newest girls, makes it bearable. I can't wait to start posting pictures of the new girls. They're beautiful.

Last edited:
They refuse to sit still for pictures, so here is a quick video. Trill is pretty social and calm. Tremolo is still unsure and just likes to find places to hide.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1uT3j8e-A&list=UUTg1sxCRA3WRrgH6I8t09zg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1uT3j8e-A&list=UUTg1sxCRA3WRrgH6I8t09zg[/ame]

I try not to go to the memorial section as it can be so hard seeing all the ratties that have passed but I'm really sorry for your loss. I totally agree that having rats (whether they are new or not) makes losing one less painful. May Phil rest in peace. I'm excited for this new journey you are going to take with these girls.

That nice that you took in ratties in need. I miss my boys that have left too, but since their lives are so short I often look at it as they are making a place for another rattie in need. They are giving another rattie a chance at the spoiled life they had. I know my boys would understand they aren't replaceable. Congrats on the new additions

That nice that you took in ratties in need. I miss my boys that have left too, but since their lives are so short I often look at it as they are making a place for another rattie in need. They are giving another rattie a chance at the spoiled life they had. I know my boys would understand they aren't replaceable. Congrats on the new additions

That's a really good way to put it. What a lovely way to think about it. My rats I've lost were happy and, when they left, they made room for more rats to share in the happy.

Thank you. These are some of the better rats I've taken in, in terms of their previous treatment and their behavior. Some of my rats came from really bad places, but Trill and Trem were very loved and very well handled, and I think they are going to transition into my home easily. The woman who gave them to me obviously adored them, which was great to see. She was keeping them in a really small cage, but she obviously spent a lot of time and energy to make it into a fun and interactive place for them and she had made a pretty solid lab block/fresh food mix for them.

My only complaint is that she gave them canned oysters pretty regularly, so they reek of oysters. She sent me home with some, so my car smells like them, too. I plan to keep them and give them to them as a treat. They adore them and I feel like that also might be why their coats are so, so soft, but the smell is just too much and I feel like oysters are too rich for a daily food.

They smell so bad. There are few sea foods that I despise, and oysters are one of them. But the rats love them so much, that I can't just stop giving them to them. Also, I think my girls might enjoy them.

They smell so bad. There are few sea foods that I despise, and oysters are one of them. But the rats love them so much, that I can't just stop giving them to them. Also, I think my girls might enjoy them.

I might just have to open it and give it to them.... perhaps in memory of Phil they can have oysters this one time... since I now know how much they are really going to enjoy them..

Oh wow do they really like them so much? I have never tried to give them any but I looove them and that might be a good once in a while treat! Do you put them on crackers for them? ;)

So sweet, congrats! I am sorry for your loss of Phil; but as dspch said, it helps to think of it as one rat moving on to make room for another in need.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your new sweeties.

I miss my Phillip, but I am already so in love with the new girls. I'm so excited for when I can introduce them to the others. They seem much sweeter-tempered than Eos and Gumdrop, and I think Lucille could finally have a friend who doesn't bully her. She's the youngest of my trio, so my hope is that they bond with her and she's not lonely when Gumdrop and Eos pass. They're both getting pretty old. I don't like to think about it, but that's really the reason I was so happy to find younger girls.

Last edited:
Back