Phillip

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

My poor little man finally passed away this morning. We've been battling pneumonia for over a month now. He was not getting better and I had suspected it was almost time to make a decision if nothing changed. He made the decision this morning. It hurt, but it was not a surprise. I found him in the cage when I went to feed them. I suspected when he wasn't in his sleephouse that he was gone. Eos had covered him in paper and got very upset when I uncovered him. They all got to say goodbye. They were not pleased to see him go.

I did all I could to help Phil get better, but it became apparent that he was not going to recover. It's just such a disappointment. He had just gotten through his neuter in September and was just getting attached to the girls. He got to enjoy their company and all the fun of the DCN before he died. I had just hoped he would get to grow old in that cage, with his new friends. He wasn't quite two.

He was my squishy man. He was so friendly and cuddly and loving. He wasn't so pleasant to my roommate's boys, but he loved the lady rats and was probably very content to die surrounded by them. He was not as adventurous as my girls, and he adored human attention and love, despite the fact that he would never let me kiss his face. He used to put his paws up and cover my mouth. He had a lot of personality and I wish I had had longer to really get to know him.

My whole household is in mourning. We're getting through it, but he was special to everyone in our home. He will be greatly missed.

I'm realizing, far too late, that I didn't get enough pictures of Phil. I don't ever take enough pictures. But I have a few that I wanted to share with this memorial.

These are my first two pictures with my little guy, last October.
1798644_10202508009535252_1860237414_n_zpsb66a1617.jpg

firstday_zps6bd72b03.jpg

Here's one of our few documented quiet moments together.
10418198_10203425152103243_2239675066494963775_n_zps291b95aa.jpg

And here are some from when he was sick.
10744995_10204409449150054_1351846597_n_zps880b04f9.jpg

10743690_10204409456150229_517316554_n_zps8bb23353.jpg

I thought so, too. I've never seen anything like that. Eos is pretty fragile lately, though, and I think she was very deeply hurt by his loss. She came home with two other girls who both passed in July, and she didn't really bounce back well from that. It doesn't surprise me that she needed some sort of closure and she needed to cover him and keep him for a while.

I thought so, too. I've never seen anything like that. Eos is pretty fragile lately, though, and I think she was very deeply hurt by his loss. She came home with two other girls who both passed in July, and she didn't really bounce back well from that. It doesn't surprise me that she needed some sort of closure and she needed to cover him and keep him for a while.

I have found that when I take cagemates to the vet with us when we know we're putting one of their friend's to sleep they handle it much better. They get to see and smell that their friend is gone - we give them time and when they walk away we know their done. It seems less traumatic then us just not coming home with them.

I was so grateful that he died at home, because he despised the vet, but also because it was a few hours before I found him, and the girls all had a chance to get used to the idea of his death. I failed in the past to show the other rats the body of the dead one when we came back from putting them to sleep, because I was so shaken up, and I know that it's selfish and it made it harder on them to understand. I'm glad they all got their closure.

It sounds like the last little time he had with his girls was the best time. And for rats, weeks are years, so it really did count! I'm sorry he didn't get longer, but we can't always win against Mother Nature. Rest easy Phil, know that you will be missed...

I have found that when I take cagemates to the vet with us when we know we're putting one of their friend's to sleep they handle it much better. They get to see and smell that their friend is gone - we give them time and when they walk away we know their done. It seems less traumatic then us just not coming home with them.

Agreed, Dspch. We have always done the same here. Ratties need to know and understand that their friend/friends are gone.

Oh no, our sweet Phil! I am so very sorry. I was very attached to Phil and I remember when you had him neutered...I wish I could find words to convey how sad I am to hear Phil left. I am so sorry. :(

We never seem to have enough time with our babies, I know. Phil had a wonderful life and lots of loving girlfriends..they honored him by covering him with the paper. I am sure you are comforted that he passed away surrounded by his girls. He had a wonderful and happy life. I know it never seems fair when our babies go so quickly...I too wish we had more time with these beautiful angels. Everyone on the Rat Shack wishes this.

We lost our first two boys, Klausse and Wolfgang, after only 14 months, due to mycoplasmosis. I spent about a month crying, "It's not fair! Why did they have to leave so soon?" so I feel for you and I do understand.

One thing that may be of comfort to you..there were 3 other ratties that left for the Bridge on the same day as Phil. Lilspaz's gray girl, Dandelion, KatTheHippie's boy, Igor, and my own Achilles (that is why I just now saw your memorial today..I have been off the forum since the 29th, when we lost Achilles. I came back on yesterday to post his memorial on the forum and today I am catching up with other people's memorials.)

So, Phil had the company of good rat friends as he crossed to the Bridge. That comforts me too.

Again, my condolences. I really loved Phil. He was such a precious, handsome boy and he tugged at my heart. I am glad he is with my boy Achilles right now, having a wonderful time and playing together.

All my love to your sweet Phil. I know he will be greatly missed. :heart:

Last edited:
Oh no, our sweet Phil! I am so very sorry. I was very attached to Phil and I remember when you had him neutered...I wish I could find words to convey how sad I am to hear Phil left. I am so sorry. :(

We never seem to have enough time with our babies, I know. Phil had a wonderful life and lots of loving girlfriends..they honored him by covering him with the paper. I am sure you are comforted that he passed away surrounded by his girls. He had a wonderful and happy life. I know it never seems fair when our babies go so quickly...I too wish we had more time with these beautiful angels. Everyone on the Rat Shack wishes this.

We lost our first two boys, Klausse and Wolfgang, after only 14 months, due to mycoplasmosis. I spent about a month crying, "It's not fair! Why did they have to leave so soon?" so I feel for you and I do understand.

One thing that may be of comfort to you..there were 3 other ratties that left for the Bridge on the same day as Phil. Lilspaz's gray girl, Dandelion, KatTheHippie's boy, Igor, and my own Achilles (that is why I just now saw your memorial today..I have been off the forum since the 29th, when we lost Achilles. I came back on yesterday to post his memorial on the forum and today I am catching up with other people's memorials.)

So, Phil had the company of good rat friends as he crossed to the Bridge. That comforts me too.

Again, my condolences. I really loved Phil. He was such a precious, handsome boy and he tugged at my heart. I am glad he is with my boy Achilles right now, having a wonderful time and playing together.

All my love to your sweet Phil. I know he will be greatly missed. :heart:

I remember how attached you were to him. I thought about messaging you to let you know when you didn't seem to have seen the memorial, but I thought it was best to wait.

That does make me feel a little better. It's nice to know that he's in good company. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, too.

Yes, I was very attached to Phil. I always wanted to scoop him up and give him warm kisses when I saw his pictures.

I am glad you feel a bit better knowing he is good company with my Achilles and the other ratties from the forum that all left on the same day. I am sure they are all together right now, absolutely.

Yes, I am so sorry I did not see your memorial sooner. I was AWOL from the forum since the 29th, in grief hell with my husband. But you totally could have PMd me about Phil, that would have been completely fine.

I hope you are doing as well as can be expected after Phil leaving...I know, it is so hard and so heartbreaking. I feel for you. We are in the same boat. But I know Phil and Achilles are doing just wonderful right now and they have become great friends. :cloud9:

Back