Preventing selective feeding of fruits and vegetables

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lore

Lore Rattery
My rats can be like children at times, fuzzy little stinkers that don't want to eat anything that is good for them! In the past, I have always had issues with trying to get my rats to eat vegetables when I make them salad mixes. They pick out what they want and leave the rest.

So I started making mushes! I already had a Magic Bullet so all it took was getting frustrated enough finding stashed vegetables and a good idea of what to use to mix them.

Solution: Unsweetened Apple Sauce

My rats are currently getting the following mushes

Left to Right: Collard Greens, Sweet Peppers and Carrots, Blueberries and Strawberries, (light green top) Broccoli and Peas with a little bit of corn, (in the garlic container) the Blueberry and Strawberry mix added to oatmeal and another bit of the same Broccoli and Pea mix to the side.

Too bad I can't feed strawberries anymore (Czar is extremely allergic, wasn't fun finding that out!) so I will have to figure out another part to my blueberry mix.

NOTE: These are fed alongside my lab blocks and "fun mix" (which is like a Suebee's mix)

Well it sounds like they are getting lots of nutrition, but part of the satisfaction of eating food is the chewing. Imagine eating chips if they were not crunchy - yuck! :D

Haha, my main issues were Fae and Monarch snatching up the food to go hide it! (Especially Monarch, she still does it with the oatmeal. It's funny watching her roll it into balls and pick it up to go stash it in the hide next to her nest.) I don't want any rotting food in their cage (the girls have six hides so it is inevitable without mushes) because it attracts fruit flies. I clean about every three days but I can be a bit OCD.

Just made a mush from hard boiled eggs and it is very light and fluffy. I'm hoping Monarch doesn't roll this up like she does the oatmeal, eggs gone bad is one of the worst smells!

I still need to figure out a strawberry replacement too. Blueberries and something. I have peaches, pineapple, mango and apples on hand. Only girls can eat mango so I might as well just eat those myself. xD

I actually do not keep bananas at my house unless it is around the holidays. They have a lot of natural sugar and fat, they are so delicious though. Almost banana bread season!

I agree, my boy (who can be extremely lazy at times) loves to get his mushes because he can just relax next to the plate and eat at his own pace.

Back