hello, new rat owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-rats-

hi, nice to meet u guys. i just got my new rat today and very excited. got a boy, he's all white, named him Nibbler. he got his name becuse he nibbles..... a lot. usually on my hands. other then that he's pretty cool,, i like watching him run on the wheel and in his ball. he likes cheerios but he bites my fingers when he takes them.

i read all i gotta do to make him not bite and show i am boss is ssit in the bathroom with him for a while and flip him on his back. sitting here and flipping him it works, he only bit me 1 time, will have to change his name he won't be a nibbler any more :bananas:

Welcome!

I'm just going to beat everyone to the punch here. There will be others that will want to tell you the following things:
1) rats should not live alone. Get him a same sex buddy ASAP.
2) rats should not be in balls because it makes them feel trapped.
3) gentle correction and positive reinforcement is better that showing who is boss. Remember that rats are prey animals so that can actually make him fear you.

Would love to see pictures! This forum has a lot of great info. Start looking at the stickies threads. :)

Congratulations on your new friend! Hopefully you can find him a friend soon, too. Sheldon covered everything pretty well.

Is he actually biting you (drawing blood, causing serious pain) or is he just nipping you or grabbing your fingers with his mouth?

i dont know how to post pictures. how do I do that ? there was only 1 boy at thhe store and mom says i cant have 2 any way. he will be ok he is only alone when i sleeep and go to school. didnt know about the ball. and i am being gentle i dont make him squeek, he isnt scared. he grabs my finger and li ks it and i let go .:?

If he's hurting you, then it's a problem. I never had an in-between like that. I only ever had rats who either nipped gently, to get my attention, or bit and tore my finger open. I used a kind of different approach to the one who bit me hard. I would get her out and hold her and pet her and generally love on her, in a really comfortable environment. When she would bite or try to, I would immediately make a yipping noise, set her away from me, and then put her in the time-out cage for a few minutes before we tried again. The time-out cage was not her normal cage. I didn't want her to think that going in her home was a punishment. Gradually, she understood that play time and snuggles ended when she hurt me. She stopped after three days. The important thing isn't so much establishing dominance, as it is reminding them that hurting you means the fun stops. This worked because she was very affectionate and loved our snuggle time, though. I don't know if the results would be the same with a more independent rat.

It's not so much alone time that will get to him, although he will get lonely, but it's that bond. Two or more bonded rats form a little family. They are a huge source of comfort and entertainment for one another. They sleep together and play together and the relationship with one another is very important. My first rat always seemed very happy alone, but the way she lit up once she had bonded with her cagemate was amazing. She became more social. She was bolder and more affectionate. She was in constant motion instead of sleeping all day. Trust me when I say, once the tricky process of intros are over and rats have grown to like each other, you will be so glad that you did it.

My mother was against me having a second rat, too. I was living at home when I first started keeping rats. There are a few ways I convinced her to let me get a second pet.

1. Show her that you are the primary caretaker of the rat. Let her see that you can take care of the rat's needs, therefore demonstrating that a second pet will not mean more work for her.
2. Let her bond with your current rat. Once my mom started to like my rat, it was very easy to convince her to let me get a second one. All I had to tell her was, "You know, General will be less healthy and more likely to be depressed alone," and she hated that thought.
3. Do some research and show her. Let her know that you are trying to take responsibility and be the best pet owner you can be, and with rats that means a cagemate. Show her that you've thought this through and you've done the research and show her that rats do better with a friend.

Pet stores aren't the only source of rats. Search rescues in your area, or look up ads looking for new homes for pets. Another male could be good, but also consider spayed females.

It's really important your little guy has a brother to live with. A human could never replace the companionship of a rat. So please work on your mom for adopting another little guy for yours.
If he's really young, you don't need to show who's boss, in fact, no pets need to be shown who's boss, but they do need love and understanding, patience and socializing. Once you show your boy that you are all awesome to him, he won't nibble you anymore. Offer him treats, talk softly to him, play with him, no more flipping and showing who's boss, ok? :)

Back