Basic medications for emergency?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoonsj2

Hi all,

I have this opportunity to get any animal medication I need from my uncle's vet store. So I am wondering what are the basic medications I should get for my rats. I am concerned about myco, bumble feet, mammary tumors and such.
I know bayril is good to have in case my rat develops myco in future.
One of my rats developed bumble feet so i am also wondering if it can be treated with medications.

Can you guys give me any advice regarding what medications are good to be in my hands for future?

I thank you in advance,

For mammary tumours, a spay is the only way to reduce the risk. As for myco and other respiratory issues, only a vet can help you.
I highly encourage you to always bring your pets to the vets when something is wrong, a good rat savvy vet will know exactly what you need and how to best treat an illness.

IMO if you have to ask this you aren't experienced enough to diagnose and treat health problems yourself. You may think your rat has a lung problem but it could actually be the heart. The infection could be more serious than you think, you could give multiple meds that don't work with each other, you could give a med that makes an underlying condition worse, etc.

Vets are trained, like doctors, to diagnose and treat health problems. There is a reason it takes 7-8+ years to become a vet. Always take your rat to the vet for a proper diagnoses and treatment.

Back