Ugh mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emawebee

I have 25 rats, what is the cheapest most effective way to treat 25 rats.

My cat got into the room for only a couple minutes and was sitting on top of their cages... He is an outdoor indoor cat and was in need of a re up on his bug meds.. So last night he was treated with advantage.

Can I use advantage on rats? Or only revolution. Advantage is $30 cheaper so that's why I ask. I know I will probably need 3 or 4 tubes... A drop each on the back of the neck???

I'll probably have to go to the vet right? If I need the revolution bc it's Rx only...

Thank you, you guys are life savers. Xox

Do your rats have mites or do you think your cat gave into them? If the latter then you're fine as rat mite's only feed off rats. If it's the former (neck, shoulder, face scabs) then I'll help u figure out whichave revolution to order

Do your rats have mites or do you think your cat gave into them? If the latter then you're fine as rat mite's only feed off rats. If it's the former (neck, shoulder, face scabs) then I'll help u figure out whichave revolution to order

Ohhhh they are definitely mites. All around the neck and under the chin, each day I have found more.

I think my cat gave them the mites but the rats are really smart and hide whenever the cat is near, which isn't very often, we try to keep the door locked!

And thank you that would be great! :)

Yes, I just bought them care fresh paper bedding for the first time in a long time for their litter boxes and for nesting! I had no idea that would give them mites.

I remember someone asking if froze my bedding, and I was wondering what she meant!

So what now, Clean cages and freeze bedding, and the rev?

Yes, I just bought them care fresh paper bedding for the first time in a long time for their litter boxes and for nesting! I had no idea that would give them mites.

I remember someone asking if froze my bedding, and I was wondering what she meant!

So what now, Clean cages and freeze bedding, and the rev?

Yep freezing the bedding for 48 hours before using is best.

25 rats right? Boys or girls?

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/revolution-c-165_6_159.html

We can estimate a dose from your rat, multiply it by 25, add some for spillage and try to figure out the best fit with the revo in the link.

I am just going to take them to the vet, there is this vet Dr. Krupka, he's supposed to be really good.. he was on animal planet and he works with rats and birds (I have 2 parrots) so I'm excited to meet him. I need a neuter so I am going to talk to him about that as well. :) Thank you

Great idea, just one last note. If the vet wants to give ivermectin injections say no thanks. Iver injections are painful, time consuming, painful and sometimes doesn't work on the mites.

I looked through my revolution and only have 2 tubes, don't think that's enough for your large group of fuzzies. Always freeze the bedding - I learned the hard way too.... :emb:

Great idea, just one last note. If the vet wants to give ivermectin injections say no thanks. Iver injections are painful, time consuming, painful and sometimes doesn't work on the mites.

Oh wow should have read this sooner.. He had me get injectable ivermectin to put in water. . 25 per L

Back