Picked Up a Rescue Sunday - Pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

I saw a craigslist ad months ago for a pet rat in my town that needed a new home. With a new ad being put up last week, I felt like this lone rat needed saving (the owner even said that he was kept in a small cage). I wasn't expecting it to be so dirty.

Pics:
oTXgfOd.jpg

kLq5aeF.jpg

GPdUD76.jpg

4gYXnqD.jpg

As you can tell that cage looks filthy and is too small for even a hamster! He turned out to be a she, also, which is great since that means I can keep her in my current group (was going to give "him" to a friend). Just tossed the entire cage into the garbage - wasn't worth cleaning!

I didn't quarantine her. Big no-no but I am a very anxious person and she was already in the house, so I figured I'd introduce them anyways. Everything went well and they were living together within a night.

Her personality? Well, I'd expect her to be terrified of giant spaces and people, but nope! She is not afraid of me and LOVES exploring, I mean LOVES it. Super energetic, too. I can't believe she lived in that puny cage for so long! She must have been so depressed. When I first let her out on my bed to explore I joked that she was "high on life" because she couldn't stop having fun.

Here are pictures of her in her new cage (with friends):

15358799697_1ca8a6abf4_b.jpg

15542128971_492c34d322_b.jpg

15359170480_54d86bbdae_b.jpg

15545647072_63b7bbe9b9_b.jpg

I am so happy to have her! Oh, named her Addie. Not sure where the name came from, but it seems to fit.

Ugh I know this is supposed to be all happy and I might just be a little emotional already right now, but I have a lump in my throat! The only thing worse than that poor creature living in squalor would have been physical abuse, which I'm telling myself never happened. Thank you for saving her.

Honestly, Sheldon, I have no idea how he thought that she was "ok" in that cage. The guy also is trying to get rid of 3 female gerbils... I should have asked to take a look at them, I hope they aren't in the same filth as this girl was. According to my boyfriend who looked around the house, this guy had TONS of animals (dogs and cats). His house also smelled like animal... it was gross. Considering emailing him and telling him that he should take better care next time, but not sure if that's a good idea. I would also tell him how well she's doing in a bigger environment, on the bright side.

What a pretty/sweet looking girl she is!
So awesome you saved her from that horrid filthy prison she was in!
She looks so good in a clean cage. She went from rags to riches.:cheering:

How wonderful the little angel on your shoulder finally convinced you to get 'him'. It was SO meant to be, with him being a her, and intros going so easily, and she being so happy! I am celebrating for little Addie. :joy:
And honestly, I would be more worried about a rat from a pet store. She had no one to get any diseases from! ;)

Aww Addie! I love her. I totally agree with Joanne. This was so clearly meant to be. I'm glad she is in a much better home now.

If you do end up writing him be sure to do it in a way where he won't take offense or at least not feel attacked. Otherwise people tend to not listen and instead become defensive.

Either way I'm just really glad she's in good hands now.

Oh thank you for taking that sweet mite!!

She is one very grateful girl, in one fell swoop, a clean cage, a bigger cage, friends, and attention...she's sure she's in heaven. :p

As for telling him his conditions were umm..poor? Send a picture, of her in her nice big clean cage...that usually points it out without you having to say a word :D

Ugh I know this is supposed to be all happy and I might just be a little emotional already right now, but I have a lump in my throat! The only thing worse than that poor creature living in squalor would have been physical abuse, which I'm telling myself never happened. Thank you for saving her.

I was the same way when I saw that horrible, tiny and filthy cage...and poor Addie also being a solo rat...I cannot imagine what a miserable life she had...puts a huge lump in my throat too, and makes me want to strangle that guy...god I hope those gerbils are okay. *Did he REALLY think she could actually use that teeny tiny plastic wheel? Seriously?*
(not that the wheel size was the problem...just an extra cherry on a very sad cake)

I also need to try to focus on the wonderful and VERY happy outcome for Addie....beautiful name that fits a very beautiful and now happy girl. Thank you so much Fumblesquid for saving this very special girl and giving her what must be heaven on earth...clean, large housing, lots of friends, and love...I really am tearing up. You saved her life in so many ways.

Last edited:
Just an update: she is fitting in extremely well with friends. You never would have guessed that she was a solo rat based on her behavior - she gets groomed and grooms others.

Also, I really appreciate all the positive feedback I'm getting. Her conditions were atrocious (to say the least) and if I wasn't so conditioned to seeing animal abuse through the internet (I follow a lot of animal rescue stories), I would be tearing up at it too. I'm just super happy with how she's fitting in, she's so lucky to be healthy considering what she was living in. Thank you all again for the comments.

Oh, and I just sent an email to the guy that I got her from. I kept it positive, and showed pictures of her with friends and a picture of the large cage she's in. Thank's lilspaz for the idea!

Here are more pictures:
15557942002_faea20d990_b.jpg

14936930763_8e00f8ff3a_b.jpg

An no, that isn't a seed mix - it's suebee's rat mix and lab blocks. I give suebees as a treat, not a diet :)

Aww, just beautiful to see pictures of Addie with her new friends, enjoying some treats and lab blocks! I too am very happy she was healthy despite her former living conditions! What a relief...she must be a very strong girl with a will to thrive. I am sure she is just loving the company of other rats and all the grooming, playing and general company that ensues. What a wonderful happy ending for her! :hug4:

Good deal about sending photos of her to that guy. I hope he gets the message.

.Oh, and I just sent an email to the guy that I got her from. I kept it positive, and showed pictures of her with friends and a picture of the large cage she's in. Thanks lilspaz for the idea!
I'm glad - you can never go wrong by being positive. :thumbup:
Sometimes you just have to be a little sneaky when trying to educate someone. ;)

That's one lucky rattie and one lucky person to have her she looks sooo sweet must be so happy to have friends and not be in that horrid cage

Back