I think Phil is dying

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

Some of you know of Phil and his spay and his fight with pneumonia since around September 18th. He had a hard time taking his medicine. It's been a struggle. My vet has been with me the whole way. He was better, the round of antibiotics ended, and then he very suddenly took a turn for the worst.

This time, I was sent home with a nebulizer with gentamicin, dexamethasone, andacetylcysteine. This is the exact treatment that we managed to bring one of my rats back from very nearly dying with last year, so I was a little bit hopeful, despite how quickly his health had declined again.

We finished our breathing treatment tonight, and it doesn't seem to have helped. My friend reminded me that Dot and Mo took a few days to respond when they were in the same position, but I don't think he has that kind of time.

I've been holding him. He's sitting by me on the bed now. I think tonight might be it for him. I'm so overwhelmed. I don't think there's anything else I can do for him.

Last edited:
If you think he's passing tonight, and you have metacam, give him a nice big dose to take care of any aches and pains and just hold him if that's what he wants.

I am sorry. :(

I might have some infant ibuprofen. I've got him wrapped up in my lap. More than anything, I want to curl up in my room with him, but I'm sitting with him in the living room. He loves people. He likes having them all around.

I've got him comfortable. Car rides are so stressful for him. Unless it worsens too much, I am hoping he's able to pass here without us having to take him out in the cold. I'm still dressed and have everything ready to take him to the emergency vet if I need to

I woke up very reluctant to check on Phillip. Just as expected, there was a small shape curled next to the sleephouse. When I reached in to say goodbye, two things happened. I realized the shape was his towel, and Phil popped his head out of the sleephouse to see what was going on. He's still very weak and his lungs don't sound good, but it seems the meds are kicking in. We're not out of the woods yet, but he's alive.

It's complicated. His lungs were clearing up with the nebulizer, but he was still breathing very hard and has been lethargic. Solid food wasn't interesting him, so I tried baby food. He loves the applesauce. He ate it, put some weight back on, and sort of started grooming again. Now, on just his oral antibiotics, he's a tad more active. He's cleaner and he's eating. But his breathing is still heavy and last night he started sounding squeaky. We have to go back to the vet for a check up tonight.

Okay, so, this morning was a good one. Most days, he just sleeps in his little sleephouse. He's in the big cage with all the girls, and he has no interest in exploring because he's feeling so under the weather. This morning, when I sat down in front of the cage and opened the bag of food, he came (cautiously) out with the girls to see what I had for them. It was a huge relief. His breathing seems a little better. He's got enough fight in him to make taking his meds a little difficult again, so that's a mixed blessing.

Now, the less good news. When I was holding him to give him his antibiotics, I noticed a lump on his groin. It's not hard, but it's fairly solid and round. It's maybe the size of the top segment of my pinky finger. Could it be an abscess? Or maybe some scar tissue from his surgery?

"The following treatment regimen, for advanced or more serious difficult to treat respiratory illness with Mycoplasma as the suspected agent, has been used with great success by Dr. Michael Hutchinson:
Enrofloxacin (Baytril) 15 mg/kg BID, PO (oral) for 10-30 days
Doxycycline 5 mg/kg BID PO (oral) for 10-30 days
nebulization for 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day, for 14 days, with the following mixture:
8 mL sterile saline
0.5mL gentamicin injectable 100 mg/mL
0.5mL Albuterol 0.083% Inhalation"
http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

==========

nebulization
Budenit
+
Berodual

Last edited:
Back