• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

URGENT: Baytril in Toronto

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The meds from the Bird store are the same ones if not better then the ones from the vet, same with the fish ones. Both have been recommended by a few people on other forums and groups.

It can take up to 2-3 weeks to get but worth it

The meds from the Bird store are the same ones if not better then the ones from the vet, same with the fish ones. Both have been recommended by a few people on other forums and groups.

It can take up to 2-3 weeks to get but worth it
No offense, but it would seem that you havent anwered one of two major questions - have you bought (and used) these? I mean you personally, not suggestions from people on other forums. I've seen these links posted before but never met anyone who either admitted to using them or said they were any good.

Also by "better", do you mean that one needs to be more conscious so one does not overdose their rat, due to a high concentration of medicine?

I also would like to repeat what Jorats said, vets are Essential.

Last edited:
I know vets are essential, I've had tons of URI's here so I'm pretty good with recognizing and treating them. I wanted to see if anyone had any they aren't using. But they will be going to the vet as soon as I run out. :)

I have used doxy, baytril, and amoxicillin from fish/bird varieties under the guidance of a vet and I can say they work just fine. Don't even attempt it though if you are not familiar with compounding medications or have someone who is that can walk you through it.

Very interesting, never heard a positive story of using the bird/fish stuff, thanks for sharing!
Minnie, I didn't mean you so much as I meant a blanket statement for the many guests of the forum who are looking for solutions like this. ^_^

Very interesting, never heard a positive story of using the bird/fish stuff, thanks for sharing!
Minnie, I didn't mean you so much as I meant a blanket statement for the many guests of the forum who are looking for solutions like this. ^_^

Oh I know, my post sounded offended now that i read it again lol. Just wanted to make sure i got my reason for this post clear :)

Yes, I personally have used all 3 medications listed. The dose is easy to get your self with out a vet. It's all to do with the weight of the rat vs the medication dose.

I have been using these medications for over 3 years, all work well as any good rat owner should know it's a good idea to keep RI meds on hand

Back