Is this really heavy breathing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aabartow

All 4 of the rats I just got are on Baytril and Amoxicillin for URI. They've only been on them for 2.5 days.

Is this guy breathing really heavily for a rat? How long on antibiotics until I should see improvement in his breathing? He is eating a bit better today.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/107748271[/ame]

Well, he does look like he is breathing a bit heavy, as his sides are bellowing. He is beautiful by the way...what is his name?

If they are on these meds, they usually need to stay on the meds for 10 to 14 days, if I am correct? Something in that time frame I believe. So you might not see any improvement within just a few days, but keep them on the med regimen and keep an eye on their breathing and how they are eating, etc.

I am not a rat health expert on this forum like many others are, so I am sure you will get more in depth advice from some of the other members here who know much more detail about breathing issues/medications than me. I hope your boys do okay and get better. I will send healing thoughts their way. :)

Oh thank the ratty gods, Lilspaz is here! She knows TONS about this. I had forgotten the "rat phone"...listening close to your baby for particular sounds. Thank you for seeing this thread Lilspaz!

Well, he does look like he is breathing a bit heavy, as his sides are bellowing. He is beautiful by the way...what is his name?

If they are on these meds, they usually need to stay on the meds for 10 to 14 days, if I am correct? Something in that time frame I believe. So you might not see any improvement within just a few days, but keep them on the med regimen and keep an eye on their breathing and how they are eating, etc.

I am not a rat health expert on this forum like many others are, so I am sure you will get more in depth advice from some of the other members here who know much more detail about breathing issues/medications than me. I hope your boys do okay and get better. I will send healing thoughts their way. :)

His name is Patch (I know, so creative). We just got these 4 guys from Animal Control a week ago so only 2 have names thus far.

I love the name Patch! Believe it or not, I have not seen a lot of rats called Patch. Great!

Back