Feeding nakies in a mixed group

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

So I ended up having to rehome Snotra to a friend of mine as she was just not integrating into the group and seemed very unhappy (not to mention she was just causing chaos and misery in my mischief). I didn't have the ability to maintain two mischiefs so we hoped that she'd have better luck with his girls and for whatever reason she decided (after quarantines and all that) she liked those girls and is now much happier :)
Not to mention now there is much more calm and peace among my girls.

With Snotra successfully in her new home, I decided it was time to do 'cage intros' (as Snotra had demonstrated before that she did NOT like newcomers regardless of scenario) with my two double rex girls Skogul and Svipul. Both girls had interacted with my current mischief outside of the cage free-roaming and everything went well.
Long story short, everyone is now one big happy group.

Which leads me to my question:

The two double rex girls (who are pretty much bald) need more protein and fat than my other furry girls (they're also both younger than four months). My current big ladies are on Regal Rat.

I was wondering how to provide the additional protein/fat and how often to provide it in order to give the nakie girls what they need without putting all my girlies on the young rat formula or back on the 2018?

So I ended up having to rehome Snotra to a friend of mine as she was just not integrating into the group and seemed very unhappy (not to mention she was just causing chaos and misery in my mischief). I didn't have the ability to maintain two mischiefs so we hoped that she'd have better luck with his girls and for whatever reason she decided (after quarantines and all that) she liked those girls and is now much happier :)
Not to mention now there is much more calm and peace among my girls.

With Snotra successfully in her new home, I decided it was time to do 'cage intros' (as Snotra had demonstrated before that she did NOT like newcomers regardless of scenario) with my two double rex girls Skogul and Svipul. Both girls had interacted with my current mischief outside of the cage free-roaming and everything went well.
Long story short, everyone is now one big happy group.

Which leads me to my question:

The two double rex girls (who are pretty much bald) need more protein and fat than my other furry girls (they're also both younger than four months). My current big ladies are on Regal Rat.

I was wondering how to provide the additional protein/fat and how often to provide it in order to give the nakie girls what they need without putting all my girlies on the young rat formula or back on the 2018?

They really don't need different food, they just have higher metabolisms so will eat more. :) Just feed them like you would any of your rats, but I wouldn't advise any diet restrictions like handing out blocks to each rat etc.

Oh...handy that. I guess I'd always read that they needed more protein and fat.

Though Skogul (and to a lesser extent Svipul) is still reasonably young, so I was worried also about giving her enough protein and etc to grow (since everyone in the cage is getting Regal Rat) without putting the adult ladies on a young rat food. Perhaps providing some scrambled eggs twice a week?

Oh...handy that. I guess I'd always read that they needed more protein and fat.

Though Skogul (and to a lesser extent Svipul) is still reasonably young, so I was worried also about giving her enough protein and etc to grow (since everyone in the cage is getting Regal Rat) without putting the adult ladies on a young rat food. Perhaps providing some scrambled eggs twice a week?

How young are the 2 gals?

I'd want to put them in the neighbourhood of somewhere between 8 weeks to 4 months, with Svipul being older and nearly ready for 'adult rat food' and Skogul being closer to 8 or so weeks.

Unfortunately I don't have exact ages. But Svipul was 200 grams this morning and Skogul 125 grams

I'd want to put them in the neighbourhood of somewhere between 8 weeks to 4 months, with Svipul being older and nearly ready for 'adult rat food' and Skogul being closer to 8 or so weeks.

Unfortunately I don't have exact ages. But Svipul was 200 grams this morning and Skogul 125 grams

You can give them a little extra protein but they won't need it for much longer :)

Oh awesome. Was gonna say my big ol 7 month girl would've had a field day with young rattie food again (girl likes to eat lol)...but that's good news. I do wish I had better info on their ages.

Back