Bean - April 2012 to Sept. 30, 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

A special has left...my silly, goofy boy Bean of the many nicknames throughout his life. His life was a hard one. He originally was bought as a feeder rat, but the owner's brother decided to keep him as a pet and their new stud buck so they could breed their own :(

Something must've happened during that short time. Some type of traumatic event that ended up affecting the rest of his life.

His eye was always porphy but it was only until I got a really good hands-on exam with him that I discovered he had some very funky top incisors...they angled towards each other, and they had a bit of black on them.

Beanteeth4.jpg~original

apr17Bean.jpg~original

During this time I found him a formerly aggressive and now one-eyed nakie friend...who put up with Bean's antics (he humped everything and everyone, but all in play, NO dominance) and seemed to laugh when Bean tried. Freddy and Bean became besties :D

Before Freddy's surgery

apr20BeanandFreddy.jpg~original

apr20BeanandFreddy3.jpg~original

I watched those teeth for months for growth and change and nothing happened...then suddenly I noticed that my formerly chubby boy had lost weight, and I checked his mouth again and realized he didn't have his top incisors anymore but the socket where they were was infected...first of many vet visits for my poor Beaner Weiner.

After 2 different rounds of antibiotics, they gassed him down, and discovered a fistula that led into his sinuses and a big chunk of tooth in there!!! No wonder we couldn't get him better!

aug15Beantoothleftinhead.jpg~original

He was then put on chlorpalm, which didn't work. The infection just wouldn't clear and he was becoming a little congested and snuffly. I took him back to the vet again, asking if we could gas him down to see if there was any more tooth chunks in his sinuses, but unfortunately after the initial exam, my poor Bean totally freaked out...the new vet assistant screamed for my vet and they thought he was having a seizure, but slowly realized he was having a panic attack, so bad he was going blue, so they put him in oxygen and kept him there until I could pick him up. This is when we decided there really wasn't anything more we could do for him. They told me to keep him comfortable until it was time. The vet admin asked me if he still ate and drank...I laughed and said this goofy boy plays and rolls around like an excited puppy and he is a real pig about his lab block mush LOL

This was Bean after his Very Bad Day...happy to be home

oct17Beanpoststressfulvetvisit.jpg~original

Poor Bean just got worse and worse, the antibiotics kept the infection at bay but he became more snuffly. It never affected his spirit and boundless joy in leaving until the very end. I was sure this boy would never make it to 2 years old, but he did and then some!!

He was chubby and happy, and had the best tuck in the world! He loved to roll on his back and have his tummy tickled...towards the end he just loved to lie on me and get lovin's...he'd sprawl on his side for me to get his belly, give me casual licks of thanks. My beautiful sickly, mucky-eyed Bean. He was like a big stuffed toy or a lovely little dog.

apr17Bean2.jpg~original

Freddy didn't like other rats so once he passed, Bean became friends with everyone :D Sadly this month most of them have left us and finally Bean did today. He is back with Freddy, Tess, new friend Laury, and grumpy ol' Miniel.

Comforting a sick Galen

Aug2314BeancomfortingGalen.jpg~original

At the bottom of the ratpile with Laury and Tess on top

Sep1514TessLauryandBean.jpg~original

Taking care of Tess

Sep914TessandBean.jpg~original

Sep1514TesswithBean2.jpg~original

Up at my mom's this weekend with new friends :D

Sep2614Bean.jpg~original

Sep2614JaxandBean.jpg~original

Thank you for waiting a week after Tess left us, for giving my heart time to heal a bit before you had to leave as well.

Bean Love. :heart:

May1914Beanlove.jpg~original

Last edited:
oh my heart aches for you!
so many losses, so many of them special ratties

I'm sorry for your loss
Bean is the one who humped your arm, isn't he? I mean the first to do so, before Tess did it?
forgive me my memory's not great but I recall a thread about about a Beaner wiener humper boy, had to be this guy..........?

oh my heart aches for you!
so many losses, so many of them special ratties

I'm sorry for your loss
Bean is the one who humped your arm, isn't he? I mean the first to do so, before Tess did it?
forgive me my memory's not great but I recall a thread about about a Beaner wiener humper boy, had to be this guy..........?

Bean definitely was the little man who humped my arm, but Tess would have been first since she was older LOL

He inspired a very funny thread with his antics

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25164&highlight=bean

What a memorable boy he was! That was such a cute picture with him on his back getting belly tickles. RIP Beaner Wiener. :heart:
I'm sorry you have lost so many ratties recently, and of course some favourites. I'm glad the babies are there right now to give your heart a lift when you are feeling sad.

Oh, I am so sorry about Bean...reading about the fistula and his very bad day at the vet, the poor sweet boy. So much stress he went through with vet visits and his aches and pains, but yet he remained such a fun loving and happy boy. Bean can teach us all a lot about keeping the smile and the love for life going.

I loved his story and of course, I am so happy for him that he got out of his bad situation and became a beloved member of your family, Shelagh. A very special boy and I know you will miss him very much.

Love you Bean, and play in peace at the Bridge, sweet one. :rose2:

Back