Bromocriptine for suspected PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphFurley

Our beloved Amelia is exhibiting many symptoms of PT, including loss of coordination, balance problems, inability to grasp her food, and lethargy. Unfortunately, none of the vets around here specialize in rats, and our only option was a clinic where "none of our doctors specialize in rats, but they all see rats". She's been there twice since Wednesday, and has been on Baytril since Wednesday, and Clavamox since Friday. After I voiced my suspicions of a PT based on the symptoms, the vet said the only way of diagnosing it would be CT scan or MRI, which are not economically feasible for us. After doing lots of internet research, it seems the best approach for treating PT is cabergoline (too expensive, from what I've read) or a combination of prednisone and bromocriptine. My vet was not familiar with either method as a treatment for PT in rats, but after a lengthy discussion I was able to convince him to let me try the prednisone + bromocriptine option since it seems this works for some rats, and the only other option, in my mind, is euthanasia. I would like to give it a shot, even if we're just hypothesizing that it's a PT.

So, the vet has prescribed .3mg daily of the prednisone, and .18mg every 3 days of the bromocriptine. Amelia weighs 296 grams. The bromocriptine dose seems low compared to what I've been reading of other people's usage on the internet. I was hoping someone with expertise could give me their thoughts on the dosage. Thanks in advance.

Joanne, thank you. I have seen those links but my vet seems skeptical of any info from the internet I provide to him. He has his own resources "specifically for vets" he likes to refer to.

Can you comment on whether the .18mg dose would be an appropriate daily dose for our Amelia? I'm not sure how to interpret the dosage instructions from the Bromocriptine web page you cited.

EDIT: The Bromocriptine web page says 3 mg/kg per day. Amelia weighs .296 kg. So, the correct dose would be 0.888 mg per day? Am I calculating that correctly?

Last edited:
The dosage for Bromocriptine is 3mg/kg/day.
Your girl weighs 0.296 kg.
Her dose is 0.9 mg PER DAY.
How is the medicine made up? What is the concentration?

Joanne, thank you again. I don't have the Bromo yet. The vet asked me to contact a compounding pharmacy and tell them the dosage should be .18mg every 3 days. I did that this morning. They said they needed to order the Bromo, so it should be in tomorrow or the next day. They were asking me about flavoring, so I'm assuming they'll be creating a liquid solution. Due to your response, I have asked them to hold off on the order until I'm able to run my concerns by the vet.

Last edited:
The pharmacy will figure out the mls to give then, but the dose is WAY OFF and probably won't make a difference. :(
Any way you can twist the vet's arm to give the proper dose? Where do you live? Would your vet be willing to speak to another vet re: dosing?

ETA: I think the dose he calculated was for Cabergoline.

Joanne, I came to the same conclusion as you about the dosage being for Cabergoline, so I've already talked to the pharmacist and have an email in to the vet (he's not in the office today). Thanks again.

You can ask your vet to contact Dr. Munn at Greenwood park animal hospital in Toronto. Dr. Munn spoke with my vet when I wanted to try bromo with my rats. He was able to provide my vet with the proper dosing for the bromo.

This method might be a better way to go with your vet since he doesn't really trust internet sources.
Here is where you can fine information about how to contact him: http://www.drmunn.ca/Greenwood_Park_Animal_Hospital/CONTACT_US.html

Thanks Crumbilina. I was able to get the vet to prescribe the bromo at the recommended dosage (per the page linked above). Just had her first dose yesterday afternoon, but no improvement yet.

I am also battling PT with my rat, the vet only prescribed her prednisone at .07ml every 12 hours. She is on her 3rd dose and I don't see any improvements.

Hmm I'll have to ask my vet about Dex. I gave her the "cheerio" test last night and was thrilled to see her using her front hands! Although it's only temporary, I'm glad she is feeling better.

Back