Hello!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoStJaMa

I've been a parent of 4 very spoiled boys since the summer of 2012. One of the boys just passed away in my arms on Friday after a come and go fight since about April. His last week was spent living nice, with ice cream, trips out onto the patio and extra yogies.

Anywho, I came across this site while searching how common it is to have a rat cremated and was glad to see it is common. I dropped Poe off first thing this morning to have it done.

I've learned a LOT about rats in the more than two years I've had these 4 guys. Sadly I learned that my town isn't as rat friendly as some places. I'm able to get x-rays, blood work and medication, but the vets here (to include the ones at the University) really just don't know rats.

Here's my boys. Poe, Stevie, Jasper and Marco (PoStJaMa)

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/randwc/library/Rats

Hi and Welcome to the Shack! I believe we do have a couple of members in Texas. If they live near you they might be able to point you in the direction of an experienced vet.
I'm sorry you have lost your boy Poe. Many people here cremate their rats, so nope! Not weird at all.
That's a handsome group of boys you have there. They must love their DCN. :)

Looks like you know what you're doing. And no cremation is not weird. I personally bury mine but I also have dozens as a rescue and it would rack up a hefty bill!

Hi and Welcome to the Shack! I believe we do have a couple of members in Texas. If they live near you they might be able to point you in the direction of an experienced vet.
I'm sorry you have lost your boy Poe. Many people here cremate their rats, so nope! Not weird at all.
That's a handsome group of boys you have there. They must love their DCN. :)

They do enjoy it, almost as much as the tasty tasty fleece ramp covers and floor linings. (had to give up on the floor lining)lol :cookie2:

Me!!! Pm me if you need help. I'm in north Texas.

Howdy, I'm in College Station. I resorted to the A&M Vet school. It started well, even the after hours emergency care was great. The "longer" term treatment wasn't as impressive as it seemed they didn't even keep a chart and then it began to feel like Poe was a lab rat. I even pointed them towards websites that cover respiratory and other common ailments but they weren't too open for suggestions.

Last edited:
Looks like you know what you're doing. And no cremation is not weird. I personally bury mine but I also have dozens as a rescue and it would rack up a hefty bill!
I wanted to do cremation since I live in an apartment. I lucked out because the local place only charges $65 for "pocket pets" where as a cat and dog up to 25 pounds is $175. They don't even list packages for rats so I checked online before calling them to avoid potential ridicule, but it turned out well.

We have only buried 2 of our rats. The rest have all been cremated. I prefer that to burial. I would run out of room fast with burial plus we have a bunch of wild animals and I am always scared tehy will pull them up. Or our dogs.

Back