Meet the Wasaga Girls - Angel & Shadow

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

A very typical story for these girls. Bought as babies from a petstore for a 14 year old daughter, with a cage that was too small for adult rats and never upgraded. Fed seed mix, and kept on cedar. The original toys still in the cage, but eventually the 14 year old daughter's priorities shifted far from caring for her pet rats and the neglect began. It seemed to be a bit fateful when I was going up to my mom's for a couple of days and they were only a 45 minute drive from there, since they were in a place that was going to be almost impossible to reach by a transporter.
The grainy ad pic was disturbing and the dark bedding was either cedar or filthy or both. The cage looked grimy, the girls looked unwell and unhappy.
Sep2414Wasagagirlsad.jpg~original

I sent an email on Wednesday night but never heard back. I ended up calling at 5 pm on Thursday nght and spoke to mom. Found out they were going away at noon the next day for the weekend, so we would have to be there before they left. She also said her daughter would clean the cage and also give the girls a bath...I told her not to bother (unsure if they were sick or not, a bath could be dangerous to their health), and she told me that I would need to bathe them once I got them home. This statement meant they reeked, and the cage was horrific. :(

When I met the girls the next morning, the cage had been cleaned (fresh cedar bedding) and the girls had been bathed as you could smell the perfume-y smell under the overpowering scent of cedar on their fur. I took out both girls while still at their house to see what they were like normally. Angel was thrilled to come out and was curious and sweet. Shadow was not as happy and kept squirming and clawing to go back to her cage. :(

I got them home, and plunked them on my mom to hold while I dumped the cedar from their cage, removed the old grimy toys, etc.

Angel was much more active, bright and curious. She just seems to love people, and exploring even wanting to go from person to person, while Shadow hung back and watched. LOL

Sep2614AngelandShadowwithMom.jpg~original

Sep2614Angel5.jpg~original

Sep2614Angel4.jpg~original

Sep2614Angelonthemove.jpg~original

Sep2614Angelonthemove2.jpg~original

These girls happily climbed all over people very well but as soon as I put them on the flat couch they flattened and walked very carefully and hesitantly on a new surface. This told me their Out time had been shoulders and climbing on people :( They soon figured it out though and were just absorbing all the attention and new experiences. Their minds had been starved most of all.

Angel is as soft as she looks.

Sep2614Angel2.jpg~original

sep2614Angel.jpg~original

Sep2614Angel3.jpg~original

Shadow looks and acts older, she's a tatty rex but has old-soul eyes. She's the one who will hang back but is brave in her own right. She's incredibly sweet.

Sep2614Shadow4.jpg~original

Sep2614Shadow2.jpg~original

Sep2614Shadow3.jpg~original

Shadow bruxxing

Sep2714Shadow.jpg~original

Happy ladies

Sep2714AngelandShadow.jpg~original

Aww that is so Awesome. They really do look unhappy in that first pic. I'm sure they are getting spoiled rotten now!

They will now be some happy ratties !!!

I just love shadow's color. Who is the lady that is with them?

so nice to meet you Angel and Shadow and nice to see your mom, Shelagh!

lucky girls! I hope they have a lot of time left to enjoy the good life with you

Oh such a wonderful, happy ending for these sweet girls! As per usual, the "before" story and photo broke my heart, but seeing Shadow smiling so big and both girls looking SO happy is just a joy to behold. Like prisoners let out of their jail sentence and enjoying their new freedom and happiness so much. So wonderful, Shelagh.

They are both such pretty and sweet looking girls and I am very happy for them. Thank the gods you got them. And let's hear it for your awesome Mom! How awesome she is such a supportive person that loves your bubs and is there to support you, hurray! :D

Sooo sweet! Shadow is an interesting looking rexi!
Almost patchy...but lovely nonetheless. Both girls look like they have big smiley happy faces. Arya agrees as she's looking at the pictures with me. She licked the screen haha!

Sooo sweet! Shadow is an interesting looking rexi!
Almost patchy...but lovely nonetheless. Both girls look like they have big smiley happy faces. Arya agrees as she's looking at the pictures with me. She licked the screen haha!

Aww, Arya was looking at the girls on your computer and she licked the screen, how adorable is that!! :D

I just love Shadow so much...her fur is so adorable and charming and she has the biggest happy smile I have ever seen in those pictures. I am in love with her!

Aww, Arya was looking at the girls on your computer and she licked the screen, how adorable is that!! :D
It was attempted grooming licks too. Not just testing the taste of the screen! It was several quick licks at each girl! Til she decided grooming flat rats isn't exciting haha. She's a funny girl!

Sounds like fate and great timing indeed! They look lovely; certainly they know how big they've hit the jackpot after their last home. Your mom is totally awesome for babysitting them while you got them squared away!

Back