A Rat's Bucket List

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernol89

Hi all,

I've had the unfortunate news that I'm going to have to put one of my ratties down soon so I'm creating him a bucket list of things that I want him to experience before he goes.

At the moment I've mainly got a list of foods I want him to try (he had some chocolate cake this morning which he loved!)

I'd be grateful for any ideas you have of things your rats love eating/doing that I can add to Arthur's list!

Thanks!

Does he ever sleep in bed with you? That's what I give my guys when they're older and close. Let them sleep between my pillow and the bedside table with a small cage with necessities on it. And lots of fresh foods like oatmeal for breakfast, share my dinner everyday near the end, new hammock made from the softest fleece I can find...stuff like that.

My rats usually don't go outside so sometimes I will take one out and sit on the front step to let them smell all the interesting smells they never have inside.

Perhaps he would enjoy digging in some fresh dirt.

I agree with the above. It always makes me sad when one is close and I go out on a particular nice morning and realize that rat will never enjoy the peace and serenity of early morning sunrise, dew on the grass, etc. most of mine aren't stable enough or freak if I try to take them out, but when Sid was fading from PT I took him out one evening and just let him lay in my arms and soak up nature (he was pretty out of it by then but I can't believe he didn't smell the world and feel that sense of peace and beauty).

Sleeping on the bed is good too if they won't jump off and have access to food water. I have allowed some aging boys in their final days to be free range rats at night and I would set up camp and sleep on the floor with them.

I'm sorry your little one is leaving soon. I hope he still has many days left to enjoy with you.

So sorry about your Arthur.

I think a bucket list is a wonderful idea.:heart:
Yogurt, ice cream, cheese - he might find tasty

lots of unhealthy food ideas :(

watermelon
baby kale
cooked organic corn and cooked organic (non GMO) corn on the cob
peas
my seniors love a box with two exits, and paper/paper towels inside to sleep on, chew, rearrange, pee on etc
a digging box with safe soil and cat grass growing in it ... to dig, to chew
cooked sweet potato
ripe pieces of banana

lots of love, attention, stroking and cuddles from you

Being that this is going to be Arthur's last foods/treats before he passes ~ there is no harm in feeding him whatever his little heart might desire to nibble on.

kernol89 - Might heart goes out to you for having to part with your baby soon, so enjoy the time ya'll have left together.

I think the occasional 'unhealthy' treat is fine even for younger rats. They enjoy junk food just as much as people, but they shouldn't live on it any more than people should. Last days? Feed him straight up fatty meat on the bone if he wants it is what I say. I love that you are considering his experiences in life.

Thanks everyone! Some really great ideas!... One of the top ones on my list too was to let him wonder outside in the grass. We live across the road from the beach, so I'm actually going to take him over there today and let him sit with me and see if he wants to have a wonder (he's always been quite inquisitive so Im hoping it won't scare him).

Our vet basically said that if we made the decision to let him go today, he wouldn't be against it. So instead me and my fiance decided we'd keep him on meds for a little longer and make a bucket list (which will give us a chance to be ready to let him go as well). As he's on his last limbs, he can have whatever he wants in my books! Yesterday morning I was only going to give him a bit of Chocolate Cake, but I decided if he can eat a whole piece, then be my guest!

Just about to go and make him some oatmeal for breakfast :) Thanks again, keep the ideas coming!

Oatmeal was gone within seconds :)

Sweetie.jpg

Thought of something else I've done is setup the couch with the ultimate comfy spots a warm beanbag bed, hot water bottle bed and the softest fabrics I can find. And of course I wear my biggest softest sweater that can be snuggled into and have a positive rat movie day ft ratatoullie, Willard and Enchanted

Last edited:
Thought of something else I've done is setup the couch with the ultimate comfy spots a warm beanbag bed, hot water bottle bed and the softest fabrics I can find. And of course I wear my biggest softest sweater that can be snuggled into and have a positive rat movie day ft ratatoullie, Willard and Enchanted

Great idea! That's basically what we're doing right now! We've blocked off half the house (as we have a cat), put down a mattress in the lounge and blankets all over the floor and we're sitting here about to watch movies, letting the mini bears run wild. Arthur's trip to the seaside also went amazingly! I almost cried I was so happy. He absolutely loved it! He's been sleeping mainly for the last few days but he ran around crazy on the beach then had a nap in my lap! Now he's exploring around the house and we're about to have some roast dinner together :)

Banana PUDDING !:woohoonaner: ... have him eat lots for my babies too!
I just think the bucket list is such a beautiful idea. It inspires me to do the same for the 6 I have.

People & animals should all be able to do this.
You are an awesome rattie parent:dancing:. I know it's not an occation to celebrate - but in a way it is cuz you are celebrating his life. God Bless you.

Last edited:
Glad he had fun and glad he survived his trip to the beach.
Maybe you took precautions, had him in a cage, I don't know ....

but very dangerous, glad a predator did not get him

Back