Pt ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnieflower

One of my girls have been acting weird lately and I think its a pt. She leans slightly side ways, drops her food and walks flat. Shes has a little extra porphyrin lately, could that just be the stress of her body changing? How safe are the meds commonly given? Also what are the safest meds to give her? I'm gonna be taking her to the vet and I wanna know what to ask for. Shes two years old, she doesn't really show signs of pain or discomfort but she has lost some weight. also is there a possibility this could be something else?

One of my girls have been acting weird lately and I think its a pt. She leans slightly side ways, drops her food and walks flat. Shes has a little extra porphyrin lately, could that just be the stress of her body changing? How safe are the meds commonly given? Also what are the safest meds to give her? I'm gonna be taking her to the vet and I wanna know what to ask for. Shes two years old, she doesn't really show signs of pain or discomfort but she has lost some weight. also is there a possibility this could be something else?

Get us a video, it will be easier to see the subtle signs of PT vs inner ear infection. Because both can cause similar symptoms...the dizziness will cause them to walk flat, have a tilt etc...PT will show confusion, clumsiness etc.

My camera's are being a real pain.. I should have a video up tomorrow. She is starting to act invincible now. She will try to jump off her shelf in the FN, she will jump off tables, couches and out of your arms and acts like its nothing. She has never been like this. She isn't badly sideways, but she doesn't hold her food right.

Does she fall off things or jump off things?

Can you get her to Dr Munn? It sounds like she needs a vet, now.

She jumps, she hasn't got the chance to do it because I don't leave her unattended. I'm not sure if she would actually do it but she will lean off things so far that im sure shes about to jump off. I'm going to call him and book an appointment. The last time I called them for an emergency euthanisia I didn't have a good experience... hopefully they'll take her soon.

Also I head pt doesn't cause pain, is this true? or should I give her some pain meds until her appointment?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your baby is not doing well.

I HATE PTs - with a passion, but I know everyone here does!
Does she hold her front arms ( I call them arms ) like straight out when she is attempting to eat or grasp food? Can she still bite & eat hard food?

It does sound like PT is a likely cause for her behavior. I'm sorry - they really stink. I hope of that's what's going on, you can get your little one in and start some meds. Regardless if whether it's inner ear or PT, she needs the vet. Sending her good vibes.

Also I head pt doesn't cause pain, is this true? or should I give her some pain meds until her appointment?

I haven't seen pain associated with PT, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Do you think she is in pain? If yes, what is she doing that makes you think that she is?

Hopefully you can get in to see Dr. Munn sooner rather then later. Maybe at the time of booking you can tell them that you suspect PT and that you would like to get her in ASAP so that you can start her on meds because she is declining rapidly. I don't know if that will make much of a difference but it is worth a shot.

Were you able to get that video uploaded? Honestly, by your description its very difficult to get a good picture of what may be going on. If you can't get a video can you go into as much detail as possible describing her symptoms? When she walks does she grasp he ground with her claws? Does she club her paws, does she push back? All the details you can see are helpful. You say that she wants to jump off things, with PT rats I have seen them kind of meander off the ledge, but I don't recall jumping...

Last edited:
I haven't seen pain associated with PT, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Do you think she is in pain? If yes, what is she doing that makes you think that she is?

Hopefully you can get in to see Dr. Munn sooner rather then later. Maybe at the time of booking you can tell them that you suspect PT and that you would like to get her in ASAP so that you can start her on meds because she is declining rapidly. I don't know if that will make much of a difference but it is worth a shot.

Were you able to get that video uploaded? Honestly, by your description its very difficult to get a good picture of what may be going on. If you can't get a video can you go into as much detail as possible describing her symptoms? When she walks does she grasp he ground with her claws? Does she club her paws, does she push back? All the details you can see are helpful. You say that she wants to jump off things, with PT rats I have seen them kind of meander off the ledge, but I don't recall jumping...

They couldn't get her in today, they told me call tomorrow, they did the same thing last time so hopefully she'll be seen tomorrow.

She doesn't jump i guess, she doesn't push off and fly out. She will hang off ledges and go further and further until she falls off. I've always caught her but if I didn't she Would fall. Her walking isnt too strange just a little flat.

All of my rats hold their food with two hands at the same level. She holds with one hand strong and the other underneath a little flimsy, sometimes she drops her food. She has lost some weight, and she is acting a litter weird. Kind of confused i guess.

She doesn't seem to be in pain at all. Just a little slower. She still loves food and loves exploring so it isn't too bad yet. Im still trying to upload videos

I'm going to hope you get an appointment tomorrow. Can you schedule an appointment just in case you can't get in tomorrow? So that you have a reserved time? Im not sure what they told you though.
My guess is that it is a PT but its hard to say for sure without seeing her. If you still haven't gotten her in by the time I see you this week I can take a look at her and get a vd of her to post if you like.

I have great news, and nasty news. Great news is no pt!! Nasty news, she had lice and so did everyone else.. i didnt see it or notice extra scratching! The girl i thought had pt is actually too fat to really clean herself, so the lice was driving her crazy. I gave everyone the oil,bath and picked out all the bugs I could and started revolution. She started acting much better right away. Im so happy it was just stress bothering her.

Last edited:
Back