Tmj

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

I have pretty bad TMJ that makes me grind my teeth. It used to be only at night but now it happens during the day too. My girls must know I'm not aware I'm doing it because they are always sure to point it out by bruxing back at me. Sometimes all 6 of us do it in unison.

Oh man, this post made me think of my Achilles...he has been bruxing so much when I am sitting with him (or if Marc is) and doing the lounging cheek rubs...he loves to rest his head right on the webbing between my thumb and index finger while I stroke his nose/head/ears with my other hand, and he bruxes like nobody's business. It seems like each day he gets more and more lovey baby (not that he wasn't already).

I always think, "Dang, get the camera and take more pics of your sweet baby to share with the Rat Shack folks!" because I know that each day with our remaining boy could be his last. But I can never tear myself away from our cuddle sessions or ruin the moment with a bright flash in his eyes...if you know what I mean. So we just pass on the camera and enjoy the moments live and in person. :tumkiss: I know you guys can relate. :cheerful: Maybe I can get a few new shots of him in soon. ;)

Joanne,
Yes, isn't it a wonderful feeling? Sometimes rats will brux so loud it sounds like they are crunching on gravel! :heart:

I have tmj, and I only grind my teeth when I am stressed. My jaw sounds like a small bomb going off when it pops :)

Vladina- I totally hear you on that! There are so many times I wish I had brought my camera but I get all distracted from their cuteness and forget to bring it. Or I'm so caught up in the moment I don't even think of it until afterwards. My girls all brux a lot even when I'm not doing it as well lol.

Yep, that happens all the time..I am having such a nice love session with Achilles and just being in the moment with him...half the time I don't even think about a camera, let alone spoiling the moment by getting up and leaving him to go get it. I just enjoy being quietly by his side and soaking up the love, with no distractions. These are the moments I will hold close to me when Achilles has left us, so I soak it all up every day and never take his presence for granted, not for a second. :rose:

I definitely appreciate any time with my oldie Sativa. She is the nicest rat I have ever known. She absolutely loves attention and affection. Every day is a love bug bruxing session with her and like you said I have to soak up every minute of it.

Trihkal, yes, I actually think of Sativa all the time because you and her are in exactly the same place as Achilles is with Marc and I. Both are elderly ratties (Achilles will be 2 years and 8 months old in a couple of weeks) and we both know that every day counts...I am sure you, and Marc and myself are all soaking up every precious moment with Sativa and Achilles right now. So I know exactly how you feel. Achilles sends his love to Miss Sativa, by the way. :lovestruck:

Vladina I often think of you guys as well. I know how precious we both consider each moment with our oldies.

Sativa says :kisskiss: and:hugs: to Achilles.

Aww, thanks Trihkal! I will definitely send Sativa's hugs and kisses to her cousin Achilles today! (as soon as he wakes up from his power nap of course) ;)

Hugs and kisses back to Sativa! :hugs::kisskiss:

I get my TMJ splints from my orthodontist and I could not survive without them. So much so I just had a second one made since the one I have now is getting a bit worn out so I wanted a back up just in case. I wear it every night and some times through out the day. I some how shifted something today on the right side - heard a click and its an annoying pain now. Never did that before and it feels a bit out of place.

Back to ratties, Yes, I never have my camera ready when I want it and I'm always saying tomorrow I'll get pictures, but sadly sometimes tomorrow never came.

Clark loves to be massaged..(my ferocious rat :wink2: listed on craigslist as a biter) doesn't brux, well maybe once in awhile, but instead he starts licking us like a mad man!!

Dspch, yes, that happens all the time with Achilles...he does not brux all the time, but boy does he do the licky kisses like mad on our fingers/hands when he is getting stroked and scritched!

Sativa loves giving lots of kisses and brux/boggle all within a short time frame. She does all of this probably more than any rat I have ever had. She's also a rodentist.

Back