New cage!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dice401

After hearing from quite a few of you on my previous post about making a cage out of an armoire, I decided to keep my eyes peeled on kijiji to see if a larger cage would show up. And lo and behold one did! I picked up this rabbit cage for $10. Attached to the top of it is thier old cage. I still have plenty more to do (ie make levels, ladders, ramps, etc). But thought I would show you my progress so far.

e307923bcd00f92da8a5427c24477f03.jpg

Not really. I just took some fabric and made a couple quick levels and rolled fabric to make a ramp to the upper level. Nothing permanent as of yet. Just enough so they don't fall and hurt themselves. I'm going to hit up Value village today and look for more things to add (as well as spend some time on here looking at other people's cages 😁)

If you are in Canada, you can hit up Dollarama and get most things. Pick up stick down lino tiles (3/$1), those rubber coated shelves (stick the lino on top) and fasten to side of cage. Or cookie cooling racks (lino again)...ramps can be wooden bird ladders etc.

looks awesome maybe some climbing ropes, theyre usually in the bird section they sometimes make them with a bendable wire in them so you can make a perch ect.
I've also seen people use plastic strainers as hammocks :p I tried it but my rats are spoiled they knew what was up lol

I also have a new fave solid platform...dollarama plastic cutting boards they are pliable, cut to fit and attach by zip tie or binder clips...depends where you put it. If they get too chewed or dirty...toss em. They're 2/$1 right now and about 1.5x 2ft. Can get diff colours and they take the wire levels and make them more rat feet friendly.

Could you send me a pic of the cutting boards? And @lilspaz68 could you send me a pic of those rubber coated shelves?

For shelves, I have used sturdy cooking cooling racks covered with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on.
Easy to clean, very sturdy and easy to replace dish drain trays if they get chewed.

I like the edge around 2 sides as it keeps urine from dripping. The ridges give the shelves traction.

for example:

019.jpg

020.jpg

014.jpg

023.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I used $1 cookie racks and $1 cutting boards (easily cut to size) for ramps in my first rat cage. Zip tied down, it was very easy to do and cost $4 for two shelves

Back