DIY Cage Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dice401

Hello!

I am looking into converting an old armoire I have into my next rat cage. One of the questions I have is, would vinyl hardware mesh be acceptible? Neither of my rats chew on the bars of the cage. I can get the mesh in 1/2" spacings or 1/4" spacings. I am thinking about the vinyl over the galvanized mesh just for safety concerns once cut. The vinyl is less likely to potentially cut a tiny foot.

Also, this armoire I'm using is dark colored. How do I get more light inside of it? Even converting the front doors to mesh, the inside still seems rather dark. I've contemplated using those peel 'n stick tiles in a light color - but are there other ways?

Maybe tiling the "floors" or cutting windows in the sides that you would cover with mesh.... but honestly I don't recommend this form of cage. Very hard to keep not stinky.

I agree with Steph. DIY cages seem like a good idea but most people who try end up replacing it with a store bought. As she said it would be very hard (almost impossible) to keep clean. I would also be worried about ventilation. As you probably already know rats have very sensitive respiratory systems so this would be a huge factor imo.

DIY cages usually end up costing a lot more in the long run ....
people usually end up being very unhappy with them and then end up spending money to get a good cage

as for the wire, no idea
good luck

Back